“Good, not great.”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #108 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Its hard to review this place, so I'll start with the good:
The staff was extremely helpful and nice - from the staff at the front desk who were delightful to talk with, to the bartenders who were generous and friendly. The service was great. The pool area is on the 6th floor and has a nice view of the river, and they provide towels for you at the entrance to the pool. The location was great - it was on the edge of downtown, walking distance from one bar/restaurant area and just a few more blocks to 6th Street and the South Congress district.
The Bad:
It is an old hotel, so the rooms are small and odd shaped. The bathrooms are tiny, and the elevators were scary - they creeked and screeched all the way up to our floor. The Beds were not very big either. For a family of 4 (two adults and to small girls) we felt very cramped in this hotel, whereas other hotels we've been much more comfortable.

Overall, if location, price and service are more important than a comfortable room, then this is a good place to stay. However, it is a hotel, so it seems like the rooms need a little more care.

I will say that someone earlier complained about having a room by the elevators - we were right across from the elevator and never had a problem with elevator traffic noise while in our room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thanks for staying with us an for your constructive comments. We’re glad you enjoyed the location and our amenities while in Austin.

We are not the newest hotel in town but as you mentioned, our staff is exceptional and provided the kind of hospitality we’re all proud of.

You’ll be glad to hear that we’re in the process of upgrading the property. Although the layout of the building won’t change, we’ll be installing new carpeting starting this week and are in the planning stages of other enhancements to make your next stay even better.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were in Austin on vacation, and we stayed at this hotel. We ate at the resteraunt and had great service! Our servers name was Victor, and because of him next time we come to Austin for vacation we will definitley stay at holiday inn!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thanks a bunch for your review. Victor is one of our best and truly enjoys taking care of our guests. He works the Tavern on Town Lake and handles cocktail service as well as dining patrons. It gets to ba a busy place but he still provides exemplary service to all.

Come back and see us all again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel. The service here was fantastic. As I checked in, I was struggling with luggage. A man who was cleaning stopped what he was doing , took some of my luggage and escorted me to my room. he found the luggage rack and placed my suitcase on it and even asked, "Can I go get you some ice?" Very impressive. he was an older gentlemen--I wish I knew his name to compliment him. The desk personnel were equally wonderful. They copied and hole punched for me and acted like they enjoyed doing it. Additionally. when I called to ask where an extra blanket was located in the room, they did not know but had one up to my room in less than five minutes. Another big plus to this hotel is that the parking is free and in a garage--which in the hot Austin summer is particularly nice. Right outside the door are beautiful walking trails around a lake and dozens of food trailers within a block. The only potential downside is that the hotel is a bit noisy on the inside. It did not keep me from sleeping but I can imagine that the road noise might be an issue for some--but the hotel is located in a large city.

Room Tip: If you need a quieter sleep space, ask for a room on the lake side,
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thanks so much for the complimentary review. You truly experienced the kind of Texas Hospitality that we strive for with each guest. The gentleman that assisted you is named Steve and is one of our best. He continues to set an example for all of us to follow.

We’re elated that you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us again soon. I’m certain that the free parking and Steve will still be here.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Yes, the hotel is old, as some of the other reviews have stated, but what can be updated has been. The front desk staff was friendly, the room clean and comfortable. I paid extra for a view of Town Lake and it was very lovely. If we'd had more time, I would have taken advantage of the kayak rentals near the hotel. The location was very convenient for our business. I thought it was an excellent value. Note to those with children: I attended UT so I am well aware of the culture. If you don't want you kids to potentially see an inebriated person, it might be worth spending more to stay in a hotel out of the financial reach of some students or stay in one much farther away from 6th Street. We were only there one night, but I saw two people very drunk. (One was a young lady being handled with utmost professionalism by the front desk.) It in no way detracted from my stay at the hotel, but it might be a consideration for those with families.

Room Tip: The lake views on the eighth floor are worth the small upgrade charge.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank for the positive comments and compliment. You hit the nail on the head.

Our staff is truly one of our greatest assets and yes, the night crew is well versed in accommodating guest who may have had a few too many. It’s just the nature of the beast in Austin.

We’ve also got other vendors on the property that do sailboat and water cycle rentals. ON a breezy day, they are a boatload of fun. Pardon the pun.
Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our stay was okay, other than an air conditioner that didn't work properly and a musty smell in the room. However, we had an awesome experience with a housekeeping employee by the name of Steve. When we arrived, we weren't sure where to go, between towers, to get to our room. We ran into Steve while we were looking for our room and he went out of his way to help us. What a very kind man! Thank you for being such a hard working, helpful person, Steve!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thanks so much for your recognition of Steve. He’s one of our best and has been awarded Employee of the Month and employee of the year. He exemplifies the kind of hospitality we strive to deliver to every guest.

Steve’s been here a long time working the evening shift so stop by again, we look forward to it. Also, we'll be sure to relay your kind comments to Steve.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

You walk into this hotel and you feel like you've stepped back 30 years. It really needs updating. The rooms are fine, large event - but very out of date. The restaurant (which I only used for breakfast) is like a museum piece (and that includes the staff).

Although we took a cab, it's falrly easy to walk to the unique Rainy Street area of town. This was my first visit to Austin and found that experience totally unique - don't miss it.

Back to the hotel - there was ample parking and they didn't kill me - so no complaints. I think you can do better though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Although it’s clear that we aren’t the newest hotel in Austin, it sounds as if you enjoyed your stay and our location. Our last full renovation was 4 years ago, not 30. Yes, Rainey Street is now a solid entertainment destination, just a couple of hundred yards away.

I do have to take exception of with your reference to our restaurant staff member. Joyce has been serving our guests for 36 years and is one of our most treasured employees. Of course her other job at another local restaurant keep her busy. I just hope I can maintain such pace when I gain that much experience. Not many can.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just stopped in for a drink and Amy Jo (bartender) was extremely helpful. She had an awesome attitude. A great asset to the company, there should be more people like her out there. She really made the experience a great one, just wanna say thank you Amy Jo!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Wonderful compliments for Amy Jo. She has really stepped up and consistently provides the kind of service and hospitality we look for in all of our staff members.

Thanks for noticing and come back soon.