“Will never stay here again, disappointed about Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #108 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The rooms are very small, bathroom is very small, sink area and closet are very small. Wireless internet is very weak, get your own hotspot because don't make hopes on having good reception. I arrived with my family and I am a gold member priority club, so I should get better room or get upgrades, however, I got very bad old room, old carpet and very small two bed room.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Although we didn’t live up to your expectations, thanks for staying with us. Our policy is to upgrade out Priority Club Members but depending on occupancy and the time of your arrival, that’s not always possible.

Basically, all of our double rooms are equipped with double beds. The bath area in our Capital Tower are slightly smaller but all rooms have the same décor and amenities. In relation to our WiFi, we upgraded to a larger bandwidth last summer. Unfortunately, if there are many guests online at once, the signal and speed will suffer.

We hope you’ll give another chance the next time you are in Austin.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at this facility for three weeks in July 2012 for business with family. The hotel's location is ideal, as it is central to the popular locales.
I was pleased with the staff's service and performance.
We were located high in the tower by the lake. This made for a pleasant view. We did not experience highway noise.
The hotel is looking a little worn. but I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake.

Room Tip: Go high in the tower nearest to lake.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

It sounds as if you had enough time with us to explore the area around the hotel. We’re glad you enjoyed the location and our amenities. We do have some rooms with great views.

Thanks for your kind words and be sure to look us up the next time Austin is in your travel plans.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

A group of us stayed here last month, and returned again for our trip this week. The location was walking proximity not only to the convention center, but also to Rainey St. for quaint bars and great entertainment. The best part of our stay was that we truly were treated as guests. Top notch service by ALL of the staff, and big kudos to Lovinia and Jesse, who both went above and beyond the call of customer service to accomodate our group. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thanks you so much for your kind words. We’re very proud of our staff and work hard every day to assure that we provide exemplary customer service to every guest. I work directly with Lovinia and you didn’t just catch her on a good day. She will always go above and beyond to help our guests, the same goes for our Front Office Manager Jesse.

It is a pleasant walk to the Austin Convention Center. Although most large conventions provide transportation, it’s only a 15 -20 minute to ACC. Rainey Street is just an added bonus particularly after a long day at a convention.

Be sure to stay with us next time you’re in Austin.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Town Lake three nights for a conference.
Pluses: friendly staff, clean room and bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, cable TV, free shuttle to/from airport and to convention center, located near great jogging/walking trail (Lady Bird Trail), walking distance to convention center (<1 mile), right around the corner from the cool up-and-coming Rainy Street neighborhood with its many restaurants/bars.
Minuses: carpet in room needs to be replaced, one of the two queen-size beds sags and should have been replaced a long time ago, the freeway noise is quite noticable on our floor (7th).
From what I noticed, the hotel is not wanting for guests. The day we checked out, there were lines of people waiting to check in, mostly families going to the UT game.

Room Tip: Ask for top floors facing away from freeway
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Yes we were a busy place during your stay. I’m proud of our staff for handling the press of a full house. Our location seems to be getting better and better and better as Rainey Street develops into a major entertainment district. Since there’s really no parking down there, most of our guest choose to walk or take our shuttle since it’s only .2 miles away.

We’re in the process of replacing carpeting in our guest rooms but are only about 40% done. Part of the challenge is to schedule a time when we’re not at a high occupancy level.

Thanks for your comments and we hope you come back to see us soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Town Lake for two nights because of a family wedding. It was a large event, and more than 20 of us stayed at the hotel. It happened to be over a weekend when there was also a big UT football game.

We had requested a room with two beds to accommodate the four people in my family and been put on a wait list several months prior to arriving. Apparently the wait list doesn't do much, and when we arrived they initially put us in a room with a king bed. When we objected, the front desk clerk found us a new room with two full size beds. I felt this was good service on the part of the desk clerk, but poor service on the part of the hotel chain, which could have accommodated this request long in advance.

After the first night, we went out for the day and returned mid-afternoon to change for the wedding. I was surprised to find the room had not been made up, and I thought they had overlooked it. The maids arrived at about 4:30 pm, as we were getting dressed for the wedding. We asked them to come back in an hour, and they did. It wasn't a problem, but I typically expect the maids to arrive in the morning.

On Sunday, we went to church and returned to the hotel for brunch (25 or so people) at about 11:00 a.m. We selected the hotel because we had such a large group and they appeared able to handle us better than the local restaurants. They had just stopped serving the breakfast buffet when we arrived. They decided to reopen the buffet, rather than take individual orders for everybody. That was probably a good idea. The server provided very good service, and the food was okay if not great. It was the usual hotel buffet - eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, fruits, yogurt, and so forth.

However, when going through the buffet line, I had to discard seven or eight plates before finding one that was clean (most had hardened eggs baked onto the plates). I also had to ask for a new coffee cup, because the first one presented to me was not clean. I'm afraid of what would have happened if they had plated the food for me.

The hotel website is somewhat inaccurate. The hotel does operate an airport shuttle, which is quite convenient, and it will also take you to downtown Austin. The website did not make this clear, so we took a cab from the airport to the hotel. The Holiday Inn website indicated that typical cab fare is $15, and it was more like $30; the hotel staff told me that's the going rate.

My mother-in-law, who is in her 80's and has trouble traveling, felt some of the front desk staff were rude with her. I wasn't there to observe it myself, but she repeated the story several times.

Upon checking out, my sister-in-law discovered they had overcharged her for the room on one night. When she brought it to the attention of the front-desk staff, they changed it without any trouble.

A couple of positive notes: the bar is convenient and serves the full menu. They have a comfortable lounge and three nice big screen TVs. The outdoor pool on the 6th floor is really nice - the kids enjoyed it and the adults could have a nice conversation.

The hotel is conveniently located on Town Lake, and there is a very nice and popular path along the lake. Unfortunately, it is also close to I-35, and noise from the highway penetrates into the rooms.

The rooms are quite small by modern standards, but nicely appointed. We particularly had trouble because of the incredibly small bathroom & vanity area.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the interstate.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thanks for your thorough overview of your stay and our hotel. Although it wasn’t perfect, it sound as if we were able to respond to your needs and provide your group with a pleasant stay.
Thanks too for pointing out the old information on our website, we try to keep this current and you input is greatly appreciated, I hope it didn’t cause you too much inconvenience.
Be sure to let us know, the next time Austin is in your travel plans.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here for the IT Expo, and I want to say that the staff was very accomodating. Check-in was fast and easy, when I called the hotel from the airport, they picked me up within 10 minutes, which I appreciated. They also offered free shuttle service to the IT Expo which was also a nice touch. The hotel could use a little updating i.e. elevators and hallway carpets but the room was very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable, and I slept very well. I didn't hear all of the traffic that the other reviewers talked about and I stayed on the freeway side of the hotel. I plan on returning to Austin next Spring and I will definitley stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 10th floor or higher if you're a light sleeper
1  Thank Leslie2012

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we offer. Yes, some folks are more sensitive to background noise than others but we do aim to please all our guests.

The shuttle is one of our most popular features and is a rarity in and near the downtown area. I’m glad you took advantage of it. We’ll look forward to hosting you again this spring.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently named my own price on Priceline and stayed at The Holiday Inn, Town Lake. It is rated a 3-star. I would rate it a 2-star, at best. My room was on the front and I thought I was sleeping in the middle of I35. Floor space in the bathroom was 2 x10 which included the toilet. The sink area was 3 x4 which included the sink and counter (it did have granite!). The carpet was torn. Many chairs around the pool were torn. The one washing machine in hotel was broken. I will say the staff was very nice. Bottom line, I would not rate the Holiday Inn Town Lake Austin a 3-star hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barbara K

Although your stay was certainly not up to your expectations, we’re glad our staff made you feel welcome with their hospitality. Although I believe your dimensions are a little off, the vanity area is tight. Unfortunately, two things we can’t change is our location and how we are built. For highway noise, we added double paned glass in 2008 and are now considering other alternatives since these comments seem to be on the rise.

You may consider joining Priority Club since all members receive an upgrade and a welcome amenity. I hope you will give us another shot the next time you’re headed to Austin.