“Amazing customer service”

Ranked #112 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Chicago
“Amazing customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

A group of us stayed here last month, and returned again for our trip this week. The location was walking proximity not only to the convention center, but also to Rainey St. for quaint bars and great entertainment. The best part of our stay was that we truly were treated as guests. Top notch service by ALL of the staff, and big kudos to Lovinia and Jesse, who both went above and beyond the call of customer service to accomodate our group. We will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thanks you so much for your kind words. We’re very proud of our staff and work hard every day to assure that we provide exemplary customer service to every guest. I work directly with Lovinia and you didn’t just catch her on a good day. She will always go above and beyond to help our guests, the same goes for our Front Office Manager Jesse.

It is a pleasant walk to the Austin Convention Center. Although most large conventions provide transportation, it’s only a 15 -20 minute to ACC. Rainey Street is just an added bonus particularly after a long day at a convention.

Be sure to stay with us next time you’re in Austin.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
La Jolla, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Town Lake three nights for a conference.
Pluses: friendly staff, clean room and bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, cable TV, free shuttle to/from airport and to convention center, located near great jogging/walking trail (Lady Bird Trail), walking distance to convention center (<1 mile), right around the corner from the cool up-and-coming Rainy Street neighborhood with its many restaurants/bars.
Minuses: carpet in room needs to be replaced, one of the two queen-size beds sags and should have been replaced a long time ago, the freeway noise is quite noticable on our floor (7th).
From what I noticed, the hotel is not wanting for guests. The day we checked out, there were lines of people waiting to check in, mostly families going to the UT game.

Room Tip: Ask for top floors facing away from freeway
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Yes we were a busy place during your stay. I’m proud of our staff for handling the press of a full house. Our location seems to be getting better and better and better as Rainey Street develops into a major entertainment district. Since there’s really no parking down there, most of our guest choose to walk or take our shuttle since it’s only .2 miles away.

We’re in the process of replacing carpeting in our guest rooms but are only about 40% done. Part of the challenge is to schedule a time when we’re not at a high occupancy level.

Thanks for your comments and we hope you come back to see us soon.
Longmont, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Town Lake for two nights because of a family wedding. It was a large event, and more than 20 of us stayed at the hotel. It happened to be over a weekend when there was also a big UT football game.

We had requested a room with two beds to accommodate the four people in my family and been put on a wait list several months prior to arriving. Apparently the wait list doesn't do much, and when we arrived they initially put us in a room with a king bed. When we objected, the front desk clerk found us a new room with two full size beds. I felt this was good service on the part of the desk clerk, but poor service on the part of the hotel chain, which could have accommodated this request long in advance.

After the first night, we went out for the day and returned mid-afternoon to change for the wedding. I was surprised to find the room had not been made up, and I thought they had overlooked it. The maids arrived at about 4:30 pm, as we were getting dressed for the wedding. We asked them to come back in an hour, and they did. It wasn't a problem, but I typically expect the maids to arrive in the morning.

On Sunday, we went to church and returned to the hotel for brunch (25 or so people) at about 11:00 a.m. We selected the hotel because we had such a large group and they appeared able to handle us better than the local restaurants. They had just stopped serving the breakfast buffet when we arrived. They decided to reopen the buffet, rather than take individual orders for everybody. That was probably a good idea. The server provided very good service, and the food was okay if not great. It was the usual hotel buffet - eggs, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, fruits, yogurt, and so forth.

However, when going through the buffet line, I had to discard seven or eight plates before finding one that was clean (most had hardened eggs baked onto the plates). I also had to ask for a new coffee cup, because the first one presented to me was not clean. I'm afraid of what would have happened if they had plated the food for me.

The hotel website is somewhat inaccurate. The hotel does operate an airport shuttle, which is quite convenient, and it will also take you to downtown Austin. The website did not make this clear, so we took a cab from the airport to the hotel. The Holiday Inn website indicated that typical cab fare is $15, and it was more like $30; the hotel staff told me that's the going rate.

My mother-in-law, who is in her 80's and has trouble traveling, felt some of the front desk staff were rude with her. I wasn't there to observe it myself, but she repeated the story several times.

Upon checking out, my sister-in-law discovered they had overcharged her for the room on one night. When she brought it to the attention of the front-desk staff, they changed it without any trouble.

A couple of positive notes: the bar is convenient and serves the full menu. They have a comfortable lounge and three nice big screen TVs. The outdoor pool on the 6th floor is really nice - the kids enjoyed it and the adults could have a nice conversation.

The hotel is conveniently located on Town Lake, and there is a very nice and popular path along the lake. Unfortunately, it is also close to I-35, and noise from the highway penetrates into the rooms.

The rooms are quite small by modern standards, but nicely appointed. We particularly had trouble because of the incredibly small bathroom & vanity area.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the interstate.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thanks for your thorough overview of your stay and our hotel. Although it wasn’t perfect, it sound as if we were able to respond to your needs and provide your group with a pleasant stay.
Thanks too for pointing out the old information on our website, we try to keep this current and you input is greatly appreciated, I hope it didn’t cause you too much inconvenience.
Be sure to let us know, the next time Austin is in your travel plans.
Dublin, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here for the IT Expo, and I want to say that the staff was very accomodating. Check-in was fast and easy, when I called the hotel from the airport, they picked me up within 10 minutes, which I appreciated. They also offered free shuttle service to the IT Expo which was also a nice touch. The hotel could use a little updating i.e. elevators and hallway carpets but the room was very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable, and I slept very well. I didn't hear all of the traffic that the other reviewers talked about and I stayed on the freeway side of the hotel. I plan on returning to Austin next Spring and I will definitley stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 10th floor or higher if you're a light sleeper
1 Thank Leslie2012
We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we offer. Yes, some folks are more sensitive to background noise than others but we do aim to please all our guests.

The shuttle is one of our most popular features and is a rarity in and near the downtown area. I’m glad you took advantage of it. We’ll look forward to hosting you again this spring.
Mt. Pleasant
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently named my own price on Priceline and stayed at The Holiday Inn, Town Lake. It is rated a 3-star. I would rate it a 2-star, at best. My room was on the front and I thought I was sleeping in the middle of I35. Floor space in the bathroom was 2 x10 which included the toilet. The sink area was 3 x4 which included the sink and counter (it did have granite!). The carpet was torn. Many chairs around the pool were torn. The one washing machine in hotel was broken. I will say the staff was very nice. Bottom line, I would not rate the Holiday Inn Town Lake Austin a 3-star hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbara K
Although your stay was certainly not up to your expectations, we’re glad our staff made you feel welcome with their hospitality. Although I believe your dimensions are a little off, the vanity area is tight. Unfortunately, two things we can’t change is our location and how we are built. For highway noise, we added double paned glass in 2008 and are now considering other alternatives since these comments seem to be on the rise.

You may consider joining Priority Club since all members receive an upgrade and a welcome amenity. I hope you will give us another shot the next time you’re headed to Austin.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Mohegan Lake, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This hotel was very clean and renovated. The service was excellent. They gave us a room overlooking ladybird lake and we saw the space shuttle fly over. The buffet was very good. Fresh fruit, greatest cream of wheat ever. The coffee was great and so was the orange juice. It was a pleasure The free shuttle to the airport was very convenient.

Room Tip: Overlooking the lake is the best!!!! Beautiful sunrise and sunsets and nice to see the boats and sw...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review and a great one at that. We’re glad you got to see a couple of Shuttles during your stay. That was quite a sight. Thanks too for your kind words about our staff and food. We strive to extend great hospitality to each and every guest. Come back soon.
DFW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel was booked through my company so I didn't have any say in where I stayed in Austin. Once I realized where it was, I requested a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the highway. The road noise was still loud and clear. The hotel itself is fine, but they really need to consider figuring out a way of upgrading their soundproofing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear DFWMongoose,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience the noise may have caused you.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,