“Wonderful bed!”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #108 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 2, 2007

This is the first hotel we have stayed in where the maid service actually honored our "do not disturb" sign on the door! We slept til 2pm without a single knock on the door. Also, when they clean the rooms, I noticed they go in the room and close the door - that way the noise from the vacumn cleaner doesn't bother anyone.

My one and only complaint was that there was no hot water, only very luke warm for the bathtub when I ran a bath at 9:00am on our first day and again at 2:00pm the next day. I was hoping for a nice hot soak. We were on the 9th floor....which may or may not have anything to do with anything.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We had asked them to call us a cab to take us to the clubs on 6th street, and instead they offered their van shuttle and we only had to tip the driver. We will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake

Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stayed here because our friends live in the condos next door. I figured a Holiday Inn couldn't be that bad, though I wasn't expecting the Ritz. The hotel was very worn out. The front desk, lobby, and restaurant area were ok, but the hallway and room were icky. I heard they were planning to renovate, so if they do it will be a great hotel. The river view was amazing, and I liked the pool area which was up high so it had a great view. Even the laundry room and workout room had a great view. We walked to dinner and to a great comedy show, Effie's Club Follies which is a local burlesque troupe. Hilarious but definitely adult, so don't take your kids or teens to see it. Lots of political and adult jokes, a funny magician, and lots of surprises. You will probably need to get advance tickets because it's usually sold out. The resaurants in Austin are always good too.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2007

great location. on town lake which is a large river that runs through the center of austin. rented bikes and road around town lake on the beautful trail. convenient to get to night life and downtown. can request view of lake. functional room.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2007

This hotel was horrible, I went to Austin for business and I had a room on the top floor. The bathroom was tiny and disgusting to the point that I rather use the public restroom in the lobby. I used shower shoes to take a shower. I put towels on the floor to walk in the room. I slept with a sweat shirt so I would not touch the sheets. To even think about my experience there makes me cringe. DO NOT STAY HERE. They seriously need to remodel this place. I will never use hotwire again if they lie and say this was a 3 star hotel. I've stayed in 2 star hotels that are better than this place.

Unless you want to camp indoors do not stay here. I will say that the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank justl
Reviewed April 16, 2007

Paid about $100 a night from Orbitz. The hotel is across the river from the main city/nightlife of Austin, but was a scenic and short 10-15 min. walk along Town Lake with lots of fishermen, a rowing team practicing, joggers, etc. Would not take the walk at night, however, when a $3 cab ride home was MUCH preferred.

Our first room smelled HORRIBLE, like wet carpet. Notified management and they immediately switched us without a problem. They smiled and asked how the new room was the next day as I walked past the front desk to breakfast.

All in all, a pleasant stay but nothing superior or horrible to make me say YES! or NO! The pool was under renovation while we were there.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2007

My husband and I just got back from a four night stay at Holiday Inn Town Lake. From the previous reviews I was REALLY disappointed that we were staying here but we got the room through Hotwire so we were stuck. It is true, the hotel is on the highway - actually it's on a service road that is 40-50 yards off the highway.
Anyhow, when we arrived, we requested and received a non-smoking king room facing the lake away from the highway. We were not the least bit bothered by the highway noise and our room was nice and clean. The front desk personnel were very helpful and gave us some great recommendations/directions whenever we needed them.
It is true that the hotel is not within walking distance to downtown or any restaurants but we had a rental car and it literally took us 5-10 minutes tops to get in to downtown. If you don't have a rental car, the hotel does have a shuttle so be sure to inquire about that.
We never ate at the hotel so we can't speak towards the food but we did use the pool which is on the sixth floor and overlooks the Colorado River and yes, the highway. It was nice though.
The only real compaint that I have about the place is that their "business center" consists of one computer/printer in the main lobby that every guest must share. Sometimes were were lucky and could get on the internet immediately but most of the time we had to wait until others were finished. The hotel has quite a few rooms so I would imagine at very busy times, it would be nearly impossible to get on the internet unless you went in the middle of the night.
Overall, our stay was good and I had worried for nothing!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Pros: Town Lake view rooms are recently remodeled and nicely appointed, couldn't hear other occupants through the walls. Friendly staff. Free, secure parking. Cons: While bathrooms are not of paramount importance, these have not been renovated in conjunction with the rooms. They are truly dismal. There are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms. Our first room had a dark crack running the entire base of the toilet, and another dark crack running across the sink. When we asked to move or be upgraded, management was very accomodating, even giving us a discount. Our second room, while larger, again had a bathroom that had not been remodeled. Grout lines were large, uneven and dingy. The silvering on the mirror had deteriorated on a large portion. When registering, I signed up for a free, "immediate" membership to their 'Priority Club' to receive free local calls. Check your bill carefully - - I had to request local call charges be removed, which they did. With this rather prime location, this could be a class A property if they'd just put a little more work into it.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple