“Decent hotel, good value, small rooms, not too far from downtown”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #108 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Stayed here with 3 friends for 5 days the first week in May. Our experience was fine.

We booked using the advance reservation rate, which was very reasonable compared to the other hotels in the area. Came to less than $150/night before fees and taxes.

The free airport shuttle was helpful - my flight was an hour late, arriving after midnight and the shuttle was already waiting at the airport. The driver was waiting for the airline staff, so I had to wait for them too. Luckily they arrived pretty quickly and we got to the hotel within 15 minutes.

The rooms felt tiny. I don't think 4 girls sharing a room with 2 doubles is the best idea. Next time I'd opt for 2 separate rooms.

Though we did not request it, we got lucky with a room that overlooked the lake. It was nice and quiet. However the lighting in the room could have been better. Putting on our makeup was a challenge even with all the lights turned on. Also there was no TV remote in the room. I'm sure if we asked, they would've brought us one but it wasn't a huge deal. Everything else in the room worked fine. The fridge and microwave were helpful for heating up leftovers.

The toilet and shower are enclosed in a room and the sink and mirror are just outside the room with no door. The light switch operates both the lights in the sink area and in the toilet/shower area so it made it difficult to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without disturbing everyone with the light.

The vending machine outside our room door was out of order - bummer! But there is a gas station right next door to our hotel where we bought some cold drinks and other essentials.

It is not extremely close to downtown so you will need to take cabs or rent a car to get there. Maybe a 15 minute drive or $8 cab ride. The free parking was helpful - we were able to park in the outside lot almost every time. Only once did we have to park in the garage area.

The staff was helpful with answering all of our questions.

The pool was great! We had stopped at the Barton Springs and were turned off by the large crowd so we came back to the hotel pool and it was empty! Amazing. We enjoyed some time in the pool until a few other guests arrived and then spent some time laying out on the beach chairs. It felt very clean and well-kept. Only downside was the small beach towels - you need a couple if you want to spread them on your beach chair.

The gym looked very large and nice too but no one was in it the few times we passed by.

Did not try the bar/restaurant so I cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: Book in advance for the cheapest rate
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake

Reviewed May 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip. I traveled alone and thought I would be able to walk across the street and get some food, but the ONLY place in walking distance (if alone and a lady) is a gas station (and I would not have gone at night). I would not advise booking this hotel if you are alone and without personal transportation.

The hotel staff was pretty nice. The room was pretty clean. I did not find any bed bugs. I would tell you to stay, if at all possible on the lake side. The traffic noise really interrupted my sleep. I had to eat there (since I could not go anywhere) and the food was more than edible.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
todped, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

We're glad you had a pleasant stay. We just regret that you were not aware of our complimentary shuttle. It operates to and from the airport as well as other areas downtown. Many guests take the shuttle into the entertainment districts like 6th Street, 2nd Street and the Warehouse district and cab it back or call us for a pick up shuttle. Cab fare from 6th street is usually under 6.00.

Again, thanks for staying with us. Do come back and use our complimentary shuttle.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

The value of this place doesn't match what you receive. I was on my way down from Dallas, Texas to Austin to stay with some friends. Obviously, this place is right off I-35 and is a great location, near downtown, and convenient all around. The problem is that this place is on the lower-scale of Holiday-inns and needs to be remodeled or renovated.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel for 3 days during a convention. I’m a Priority Club member and regularly stay at Holiday Inns. Compared to other Holiday Inns, this one isn’t bad, but has several gotchas that you may want to be aware of. I selected the least expensive room, which gave me the 14th floor on the interstate side. The Wi-Fi signal was extremely weak and the Internet would intermittently hang for long periods of time. The view from the 14th floor was great, if you like watching traffic on the Interstate. There was some traffic noise, but nothing horrible. However I wouldn’t want to stay on lower levels and on the interstate side. The other people in my group stayed on the lake side and loved the view. I just couldn’t see charging the company a few more dollars for the better view. Breakfast was $12.95 and was the typical HI breakfast. The parking garage was where I had my biggest issue. On our last night someone broke the driver side door window on my car and went through the glove box, stealing my GPS. I realize stuff happens, but I was surprised at how rehearsed the staff was; this was obviously not their first time. The guy cleaning the parking garage told me to always park on the top level, because the homeless people won’t wonder that far up. The girl at the front desk asked if I wanted to file a police report (which I did) and then processed to tell me everything the police would ask and gave me a piece of paper so I could right down the police report number. She also refunded all my breakfast charges. The maintenance guy told me I could drive my car around back and he would vacuum out the glass. He did a great job and told me leaving the GPS mount on the window is most likely why the homeless guy targeted my car. A few days later Holiday Inn’s insurance company left me a voicemail about my claim, but proceeded to tell me they weren’t responsible. I then left her a voicemail telling her I didn’t file a claim, nor was I expecting HI to reimburse me for damages. Instead I will respond like other patrons that have a bad experience. I won’t go back to this Holiday Inn. So I can only tell you to stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: Stay on the lake side. Park on the top level.
2  Thank davetec
todped, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Thanks for your comment. We certainly regret the break in of you vehicle. Unfortunately it’s not unique to our hotel but I am glad we handled it well for you. We have had a rash of break ins and have taken measures to prevent future occurrences such as adding alarms to the stairwell exit doors.

It seems to be the same person after the same thing (GPS) and we did manage to get a surveillance shot which we have given to the authorities. We’re also evaluating further precautions such as a rolling gate to prevent all access other than registered guests.

Again, we regret you loss and hope you will return the next time you come to Austin. Let me know and I’ll make sure you get that River View.

Reviewed April 8, 2011

I was initially surprised at how expensive this hotel was. But compared to the expense of staying closer to downtown this is a great value. Hotels downtown are twice as expensive and don't offer much more. Fifteen minute walk to 6th street or 2 minutes to Lady Bird Lake. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. Rooms are a bit small but why are you spending that much time in it anyway with so much to do in Austin. Breakfast was subpar and over priced but that's the only complaint I had. Seemed like a safe area. We walked just about everywhere at all hours and never felt unsafe. Seems like this city never sleeps. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 8, 2011

This hotel did not meet my expectations since is had the Holiday Inn logo which indicates it has been remodeled. The staff was not very helpful. My room was clean and that is important to me, most everything else I can over look, but I paid about $50 more than I would normally have paid for a hotel like this. Location: close to downtown as in taxi close. Room was small, but it is due to the circle design. Stay here is you need a place and a more affordable hotel is not available.

Reviewed April 7, 2011

Paper-thin walls. Unfriendly staff. Windows in rooms don't open. Awful view of parking garage. And the "new renovation/remodel"...Lipstick on a pig. Pass this place up and stay closer to Sixth street.

2  Thank Neumses
todped, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Thanks for you candid comments. We obviously didn’t provide you with the level of service and accommodations we aim for in every instance.
Our windows are double paned to prevent road noise from the adjacent highway and unfortunately, do not open. The property was build in 2 phases and not all of our guestrooms have a picturesque view of Lady Bird Lake next to the hotel. These are upgraded rooms. You may want to sign up for Priority Club, our Priority Club guests are upgraded to the best possible accommodation and receive a welcome gift upon arrival.
Our renovation in 2008 totally refurbished the lobby area, all public spaces and all the case goods in the guest rooms were replaced. We are in total compliance with Holiday Inn Standards and usually receive outstanding comments on the friendliness of our staff. As you may know, managing staff is a constant battle to assure that all guests are treated with the highest level of hospitality. We’ll keep up the fight and thanks again for your comments. Your input will only make us better.