“Cozy rooms at Super 8 Airport South”

Super 8 Austin/Airport South
Ranked #74 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 8, 2008

True to the previous reviews on Trip Advisor, we found the Super 8 Motel Airport South to be just what we expected. The hotel management has done everything right: The hotel is clean and well-maintained. The staff is pleasant and accommodating. The beds are comfortable. The rooms are cozy with pretty decor.

Reservations: We had no problems with making our reservation on the hotel Web site. The lady who checked in ahead of us complained that she selected a nonsmoking room and was dismayed to find that the hotel is 100% smoke-free. The hotel rep politely explained that it has been a nonsmoking hotel and has been for over a year. I think that she booked through AAA and that site has old information unfortunately. With a small child and husband who is allergic to smoke it wasn't a problem for us. We were stopping at the hotel only for 1 night on the way to our final destination and in fact we were running late on the road. I called ahead about a late check-in plus requested a 1st floor OR near the elevator due to health-issues. When we checked in around 8:30 pm we were pleasantly surprised to learn they secured a 1st floor room, very close to the lobby. Thanks, Super 8!

Room: We found the rooms to be very nice, cozy, with seemingly new, updated decor. Warm hues of red and yellow on the bedspread and window treatments were very nice. Granite countertops in the bathroom! High ceilings with ceiling fans---both which are rare in most standard hotel rooms. Wow! Our room came with flat screen TV, VCR/DVD player, microwave, larger than average fridge, coffee maker. My husband's only complaint was that the room was smaller than average. It was tight for 2 people to fit in the bathroom at the same time. If 1 person was in the shower, the other person had to squeeze around the door and leave the bathroom for that person to get out of the shower.

Other: Breakfast was more than most standard continental hotel offering. It included bacon, eggs, Texas-shaped waffles and the usual cereal, yogurt, juices, Danish/muffins, coffee etc. Small breakfast area but nice with new TV and was clean, well attended/kept-up. The kitchen attendant was in there every 10 min to refill everything and clean up. We were impressed with the free book-swap and affordable DVD rental (current movies) in the hotel lobby. Free cookies, cake and fruit in the hotel lobby at evening-time were a nice touch.

Only problem I had with our stay is that the people in the room next door decided to take advantage of the movie rental---all night long! I woke up at 3 am to the sound of their laughing. At first I thought they were having a party. Awake in bed until maybe 6:30 or 7 am I realized the timed laughter was because they were watching a comedy of some sort. I almost knocked on their door to ask if I could join them or ask what the movie was so I could rent it myself, because I was not getting any sleep anyway! Of course, this was not the hotel's fault. There should be a handbook or something on polite hotel etiquette. Watching movies in your hotel room is fine but not from 3 - 7 am when other guests are sleeping!!

I would return to the Super 8 and recommend it to others. On my next trip I’ll have to bring earplugs in case of inconsiderate hotel guests!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed there for one night, paying $107 total, but wish we had stayed here all three nights we spent in Austin. We got the Asian Room, one of several rooms the place remodels periodically in a theme. This room was made up like a South Asian love nest (sorry, I can't describe it any other way), which was VERY appropriate given that we were celebrating our anniversary. The room rate included a king size bed, full bath, fridge, microwave, WiFi, huge TV with 60-channels, DVD player, bakery items at night, and a full breakfast in the morning. The staff were professional and welcoming.

The motel is near the airport on Hiway 71 on the southeast edge of the city. If you don't have a car, you will have difficulty getting from here to anywhere in Austin.

The place has a VERY strict non-smoking policy in ALL parts of the motel. Not recommended for anyone who needs a tobacco fix.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2008

After missing the last flight out of Austin, I called this hotel and they were prompt about picking me up at the airport in their van and helping me with my luggage.
Since I had been flying Southwest most of the day, with nothing but peanuts to eat, the Jack in the Box next door was great for a late night snack.
I slept late and did not get to the breakfasst until it was almost over, but I was able to get a sausage biscuit and yogurt. The Starbucks coffee machine was great too!
The bed was so comfortable! Water pressure in shower was great. The complimentary business center was very convenient.
Front desk staff are very accomodating and gave me until 12:30 to check out. Also got the "goodie bag" with water, etc
They also offer a "park and fly" package where you can stay one night - they will transport you to the airport and you can park your car there free while you are gone. They will come pick you up at the airport when you return.
The only thing missing from this hotel is a pool.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel! There is nothing like a good night's rest when you are on vacation, and every night of our stay was great. The ceiling fan in the room made a huge difference. Austin can be quite warm and humid, so it was so nice to have a cool comfortable room to retire to at the end of the day! And the bed was actually comfortable (not like most places we've stayed!).

I am very picky when it comes to hotels. This is one of the very few that measure up as far as I'm concerned. The staff was so friendly, there was a variety of breakfast options in their eating area (ate something different each time), and the rooms were always more than adequately cleaned.

At the end of our 10 hour drive to Austin, my husband sat in the massage chair in the lobby--he rates that a "10," especially after a day of driving. That was a nice surprise.

The ONLY thing that I can think of that's a "con" is that it's a little ways away from the action in Austin, but that is also a plus since it was nice and quiet.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I stayed here for a week to look for an apartment for a move in September. I had originally booked a different property due to the fact the pricing was much better, but after some research on this site, I thought Super 8 would be a better choice (about 300 bucks higher than the other property).

I liked the location since it wasn't right off of I-35, there wasn't much road noise. When we first arrived, I was promptly checked in and was given a small "goodie" bag with a water and some snacks. I had booked a king suite since it was only 7 bucks more per night than the standard room. The room was very nice and looked like it was kept up well. In fact the whole property was well taken care of and very clean. Our room was a standard suite. It had a couch, coffee table, work desk, mini fridge, microwave, a 52 inch tv (it wasn't of great quality but it beats most tvs in hotel rooms), and probably the nicest bed I have stayed in at a hotel. The breakfast was decent..........Texas shaped waffles, coffee, fruit, bacon, yogurt, eggs (both hard boiled and scrambled), toast, juice, pastries, and numerous cereals. At night they have free dessert with cookies and cake. The staff for the most part was great.

This is a great place but there are a few of things I didn't like....the main thing was the shower, the water pressure wasn't that great and sometimes the drain wouldn't stay up so after showering sometimes we had to lift up the drain to let the shower water drain, not a big deal but it was annoying......... Also they didn't have a pool. Again, not a huge deal, but it was over 100 while we were there, it would have been nice to take a swim............ Another issue I had was the business center, it was only open til 10pm and if you stay there past 10, they will let you know it. In my opinion 10pm is too early to close a business center at a hotel............. My next issue was the hairdryer, when used at full strength it would spark on the inside.......Parking was only an issue one night in which case we had to park at Jack in The Box next door. The staff in this case wasn't helpful, they just said to park at Jack in the Box, but they never guaranteed 100% that we wouldn't get towed (luckily we didn't).

Great place minus the few issues I had. Will stay here again if I need to be near South Austin. Great deal for $$$.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I stayed here with my family one night during our move (sadly, out of Austin). After a stressful day of moving, we were hoping for a restful evening. Normally I would not think to book a room at a Super 8, but after checking the reviews here I thought I'd give the South Austin/Airport location a chance. I'm so glad I did. The family running this motel does a superb job. They are friendly, welcoming, and have clearly gone above and beyond the call of duty to put a nice personal touch on the motel. On arrival, the front desk clerk was nice and pointed out the baked goods and other snacks in the front lobby (a small waiting area -- who needs a big empty lobby?), and she assigned our room quickly. She gave us a goody bag with bottled water and snacks - nice touch! We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves assigned to the "Longhorn Suite," decorated cutely with University of Texas colors and logos. We also had a gigantic flat-screen TV - not the world's best resolution, but fun to watch nonetheless. Our bed was very cushy and we had a quiet night's rest despite being close to the highway. Breakfast the next morning was similar to the typical low-end hotel buffet, but everything was good and fresh, and we enjoyed the added bonus of a fully automated Starbucks coffee machine that makes a variety of very respectable coffee drinks - regular coffee, cappuccinos, and so forth. The Texas-shaped waffles were also a cute touch. Check-out was effortless and the generous check-out time meant no rush getting out the door. Had we stayed additional nights we probably would have taken advantage of the up-to-date DVD library or played with the Nintendo Wii they advertised. I will be going back to Austin for business in the future and I know where I will be staying now. Many thanks to Mr. Sam Kumar and his associates at the South Austin Super 8!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2008

BACKGROUND:
This was a last minute weekend trip to Austin for my bf and I. We both lived in Austin years ago for college, so we were fairly familiar with the area. We are both in our late 20's, and the purpose of the trip was to visit some family in Buda and also try some nightlife on 4th street.

PRICE:
Before choosing this hotel, we considered the Best Western Atrium North (on 183). Online the prices seemed comparable. 89.99 (low end) - 140.00 (spa suites,etc). However, when we called B.W., they were booked for the entire weekend already. We then called Super 8, but they said the only available room left was the Jacuzzi Room for 139.99. This was pretty steep for us for a Super 8 motel, but we were desperate, and we were already on our way to Austin...so we went ahead and booked it. Besides, I read the positive reviews already and decided to try it out. We were happy with our choice, but next time will attempt to book ahead to get the 89.99 basic rate.

CHECK IN:
We arrived at 10pm, Friday night, and met by a nice gentleman who checked us in promptly. We also received a welcome package, which is basically a small black bag containing water, a bag of chips, and two packs of candy along with a letter from management. ***Just a note: apparently, though this is part of the "SUPER 8" chain, each motel is run independently , and in this case, by the Kumar family. This is probably why there is such a big difference in each Super 8. We loved this one.

ROOM:
We got the Jacuzzi suite, 119. Average size room with king size bed and jacuzzi in the room. The room included a microwave, fridge,large tv, desk with connection to high speed internet, alarm clock, iron/ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer. Toiletries (which were very tiny, but I didnt mind because I didnt use em) included soap, mouthwash, eye-makeup remover, and shoe shine. The room was VERY clean. I especially liked that they sealed the toilet with a little paper seal that says "SANITIZED" and you have to break it to use the toilet. Towels were small, but fine for the purpose.

EXTRAS THAT MADE IT WORTH WHILE:
They have a library of books and DVDs for you to check out . Also, they have a Wii game system for you to play!!! We thoroughly enjoyed playing this on the flat screen tv in the lobby (we dont have one of our own). Another big hit for me is the e-lounger massage chair in the lobby. My back tends to hurt a lot after walking or long car rides, so everytime that I came back, it was nice to sit in that chair for 15 mins or so and get a massage. They have a small fitness room, which included 3 cardio machines that looked fairly new. They didnt have free weights, but hey, it's a super 8! The surprise for us was the sauna in the fitness room. It looked awesome, but we did not get to try it. They aslo had a 24hour laundry room, which we did not get to use on this trip.

THE BEST PART:
Each morning between 6-10am, they had what they called a Superstart Breakfast. I'll post pictures of this later. It included: waffles, bread, bagels, sausage-sandwiches, pastries, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fruit cups, yogurt, 3-4 cereals with 3 diff kinds of milk, fruits, oatmeal. For drinks, they had a Starbucks coffee/espresso/cappaccino maker AND a minute maid juice dispenser that produced orange and apple juice. The breakfast is COMPLETE. You won't go hungry here for breakfast, there is definately something for EVERYBODY. That little breakfast area even had a tv. Very nice touch.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:
I'd stay here again, but not get the suite. It's worth it for the regular room rates.The location is a little bit away from the activities of Austin, but if you have a map, it's easy to figure out. Oh, and a jack-in-the-box and wendys is right next door, if you get the munchies! Again, this was a pleasant stay at Super 8!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple