“Great place..........with a few small issues”

Super 8 Austin/Airport South
Ranked #84 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I stayed here for a week to look for an apartment for a move in September. I had originally booked a different property due to the fact the pricing was much better, but after some research on this site, I thought Super 8 would be a better choice (about 300 bucks higher than the other property).

I liked the location since it wasn't right off of I-35, there wasn't much road noise. When we first arrived, I was promptly checked in and was given a small "goodie" bag with a water and some snacks. I had booked a king suite since it was only 7 bucks more per night than the standard room. The room was very nice and looked like it was kept up well. In fact the whole property was well taken care of and very clean. Our room was a standard suite. It had a couch, coffee table, work desk, mini fridge, microwave, a 52 inch tv (it wasn't of great quality but it beats most tvs in hotel rooms), and probably the nicest bed I have stayed in at a hotel. The breakfast was decent..........Texas shaped waffles, coffee, fruit, bacon, yogurt, eggs (both hard boiled and scrambled), toast, juice, pastries, and numerous cereals. At night they have free dessert with cookies and cake. The staff for the most part was great.

This is a great place but there are a few of things I didn't like....the main thing was the shower, the water pressure wasn't that great and sometimes the drain wouldn't stay up so after showering sometimes we had to lift up the drain to let the shower water drain, not a big deal but it was annoying......... Also they didn't have a pool. Again, not a huge deal, but it was over 100 while we were there, it would have been nice to take a swim............ Another issue I had was the business center, it was only open til 10pm and if you stay there past 10, they will let you know it. In my opinion 10pm is too early to close a business center at a hotel............. My next issue was the hairdryer, when used at full strength it would spark on the inside.......Parking was only an issue one night in which case we had to park at Jack in The Box next door. The staff in this case wasn't helpful, they just said to park at Jack in the Box, but they never guaranteed 100% that we wouldn't get towed (luckily we didn't).

Great place minus the few issues I had. Will stay here again if I need to be near South Austin. Great deal for $$$.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 10, 2008

I stayed here with my family one night during our move (sadly, out of Austin). After a stressful day of moving, we were hoping for a restful evening. Normally I would not think to book a room at a Super 8, but after checking the reviews here I thought I'd give the South Austin/Airport location a chance. I'm so glad I did. The family running this motel does a superb job. They are friendly, welcoming, and have clearly gone above and beyond the call of duty to put a nice personal touch on the motel. On arrival, the front desk clerk was nice and pointed out the baked goods and other snacks in the front lobby (a small waiting area -- who needs a big empty lobby?), and she assigned our room quickly. She gave us a goody bag with bottled water and snacks - nice touch! We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves assigned to the "Longhorn Suite," decorated cutely with University of Texas colors and logos. We also had a gigantic flat-screen TV - not the world's best resolution, but fun to watch nonetheless. Our bed was very cushy and we had a quiet night's rest despite being close to the highway. Breakfast the next morning was similar to the typical low-end hotel buffet, but everything was good and fresh, and we enjoyed the added bonus of a fully automated Starbucks coffee machine that makes a variety of very respectable coffee drinks - regular coffee, cappuccinos, and so forth. The Texas-shaped waffles were also a cute touch. Check-out was effortless and the generous check-out time meant no rush getting out the door. Had we stayed additional nights we probably would have taken advantage of the up-to-date DVD library or played with the Nintendo Wii they advertised. I will be going back to Austin for business in the future and I know where I will be staying now. Many thanks to Mr. Sam Kumar and his associates at the South Austin Super 8!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2008

BACKGROUND:
This was a last minute weekend trip to Austin for my bf and I. We both lived in Austin years ago for college, so we were fairly familiar with the area. We are both in our late 20's, and the purpose of the trip was to visit some family in Buda and also try some nightlife on 4th street.

PRICE:
Before choosing this hotel, we considered the Best Western Atrium North (on 183). Online the prices seemed comparable. 89.99 (low end) - 140.00 (spa suites,etc). However, when we called B.W., they were booked for the entire weekend already. We then called Super 8, but they said the only available room left was the Jacuzzi Room for 139.99. This was pretty steep for us for a Super 8 motel, but we were desperate, and we were already on our way to Austin...so we went ahead and booked it. Besides, I read the positive reviews already and decided to try it out. We were happy with our choice, but next time will attempt to book ahead to get the 89.99 basic rate.

CHECK IN:
We arrived at 10pm, Friday night, and met by a nice gentleman who checked us in promptly. We also received a welcome package, which is basically a small black bag containing water, a bag of chips, and two packs of candy along with a letter from management. ***Just a note: apparently, though this is part of the "SUPER 8" chain, each motel is run independently , and in this case, by the Kumar family. This is probably why there is such a big difference in each Super 8. We loved this one.

ROOM:
We got the Jacuzzi suite, 119. Average size room with king size bed and jacuzzi in the room. The room included a microwave, fridge,large tv, desk with connection to high speed internet, alarm clock, iron/ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer. Toiletries (which were very tiny, but I didnt mind because I didnt use em) included soap, mouthwash, eye-makeup remover, and shoe shine. The room was VERY clean. I especially liked that they sealed the toilet with a little paper seal that says "SANITIZED" and you have to break it to use the toilet. Towels were small, but fine for the purpose.

EXTRAS THAT MADE IT WORTH WHILE:
They have a library of books and DVDs for you to check out . Also, they have a Wii game system for you to play!!! We thoroughly enjoyed playing this on the flat screen tv in the lobby (we dont have one of our own). Another big hit for me is the e-lounger massage chair in the lobby. My back tends to hurt a lot after walking or long car rides, so everytime that I came back, it was nice to sit in that chair for 15 mins or so and get a massage. They have a small fitness room, which included 3 cardio machines that looked fairly new. They didnt have free weights, but hey, it's a super 8! The surprise for us was the sauna in the fitness room. It looked awesome, but we did not get to try it. They aslo had a 24hour laundry room, which we did not get to use on this trip.

THE BEST PART:
Each morning between 6-10am, they had what they called a Superstart Breakfast. I'll post pictures of this later. It included: waffles, bread, bagels, sausage-sandwiches, pastries, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fruit cups, yogurt, 3-4 cereals with 3 diff kinds of milk, fruits, oatmeal. For drinks, they had a Starbucks coffee/espresso/cappaccino maker AND a minute maid juice dispenser that produced orange and apple juice. The breakfast is COMPLETE. You won't go hungry here for breakfast, there is definately something for EVERYBODY. That little breakfast area even had a tv. Very nice touch.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:
I'd stay here again, but not get the suite. It's worth it for the regular room rates.The location is a little bit away from the activities of Austin, but if you have a map, it's easy to figure out. Oh, and a jack-in-the-box and wendys is right next door, if you get the munchies! Again, this was a pleasant stay at Super 8!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Okay so I'll admit it --- this hotel was picked only because it was close to my business meeting location. WOW! Talk about a surprisingly great Super 8! Super close to the airport, but not enough to let the incoming/outgoing airplanes bother me, it was also close to many other local restaurants too.

Great view of the city --- oh and the airport too if you like that sort of thing. The room had new furniture, appliances and was remarkably clean. The staff was very nice, friendly and helpful without seeming as if it was their job and they had to ... you know what i mean? Some hotels are like that, but NOT this one. Excellent staff, location and facilities.

Oh and the breakfast was pretty tasty too! I will definitely stay here the next time I visit Austin on business. Once again, I lucked out. :)

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank skigarmisch
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Absolutely THE BEST Super 8 hotel I have ever stayed in! Great location near major highway affords easy access to downtown and surrounding environs. No pool, but who cares. Everything was top notch, clean and service and hospitality was outstanding. The served the very best breakfast I have ever had at any (economy) hotel! You will NOT BE SORRY staying here! A DEFINITE must stay while in Austin. Why pay more and get less at any other place?

This Super 8 was a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank FDNYCAPT
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I have been a 'regular' with Tripadvisor.com for years. I never book hotels or B&B's without coming here first! I am long overdue to return the favor and this hotel impressed me so much, I decided it was time to put my two cents in. We had a business trip in Austin this past week and decided to try this Super 8.
Coming to a Super 8 was a first for us but the reviews and price were tempting enough to try it. I have NEVER slept well in a hotel no matter what brand but let me tell you - I slept like a rock both nights!!! The bed was extremely comfortable, just like ours at home. Plenty of pillows, an awesome fan over the bed (never seen that before!), super clean room that had a retro 50's style. Definitely different than the usual style of hotel rooms. There was a new flat screen TV' in the room (even one in the elevator!), and an awesome Starbucks Coffee machine in the guest dining area. Each single cup grinds the beans and brews on the spot!

I won't repeat many of the other extra amenities (oh, free WI-FI!) that others have mentioned before me but I will have to emphasize the most gracious hosts I've ever encountered in a hotel. Everyone was super nice and helpful - even the manager who was just walking by while we waited on the lobby sofa (we were super early, room not ready) made sure we were being taken care of. There was a genuine warmth in the building with obvious care and pride for their business. Even the elevator had a warm feel to it with a plant sitting in the corner! It's about 2 miles from the airport and within 10 to 15 minutes to downtown Austin. What a deal! We'd book there again if we ever return to Austin.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MsLisaS
Reviewed April 24, 2008

My wife and I arrived at the Super 8 just ahead of a storm on Thursday night at around 10pm. We were met by a very cheerful and helpful front desk woman. She gave us a goody bag and encouraged us to rent one of the many DVDs available for $4. We almost did, as they had several new releases we had not seen. However, it turns out the manager picks a movie to play free on channel 10 every night. It replays every two hours. They also have free HBO.

We asked about places nearby to get snacks. The front desk person directed us to a gas station less than 2 blocks away, although she suggested it would be safest to drive (it isn't a "bad" area...she just offered that my wife shouldn't walk alone that late at night). We had to drive around in a big loop on the one-way frontage roads to get to the gas station, which is no surprise to anyone familiar with Texas. We grabbed dinner at Jack In The Box which is practically in the Super 8 parking lot. There is a Wendy's just on the other side of the highway too.

Our room was very large and clean. It had a king size bed and a little sitting area with a couch. At the foot of the bed was a big screen TV that was probably 55 inches. The room had a small fridge and newer-style coffee maker. We both slept very well. We wouldn't have known if there was another soul in the hotel as we didn't hear a peep all night (we are hard sleepers though).

In the morning we took advantage of the free hot breakfast served across from the front desk. It was delightful! They have a Starbucks coffee machine that lets you pick your beverage (latte? mocha? you choose!). They had eggs, biscuts, bacon, and my wife's favorite, little cups of waffle batter you pour into the machine to get a perfect Texas shaped waffle.

The only negative was seriously hard water. If you use the soap, don't expect the water to get it off. Other than that, it was great for the price. This motel delivers more than many might expect from a Super 8.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple