“Service and Extras make up for dated appearance”

Super 8 Austin/Airport South
Ranked #71 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Service and Extras make up for dated appearance”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The furniture and hotel itself has a bit of a dated appearance. Nevertheless, the serivce was friendly. It appears to be a family run business. I was given a "deluxe suite" for the very good price I paid using an online booking service. The room was clean and very spacious. There was a small basket of complimentary snacks. The room not only had wifi, but also an (older) laptop available for use. There was also a flat screen,DVD player, microwave, & refrigerator. I would not expect this at a Super 8. Breakfast choices included cereal, waffles, fruit, oatmeal,juice, pastries. There were no eggs however.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Suite is at the end of a hall and is very spacious.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
SAN JOSE
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Super value - good bed, spacious bath, outstanding coffee, clean, neat, low price. Only negative is location, but the price and quality far make up for that shortcoming, especially if you're not spending all your time in downtown Austin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Super8Austin, Manager at Super 8 Austin/Airport South, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking time to write review. Receiving a great review, we could not ask for anything else for Christmas. Thank you.

Sam Kumar
Guest services.
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I made an online reservation through Super 8's website on Nov. 26, 2011 in order to attend the Formula One race that is to take place in Austin Nov. 16-18, 2012. I received a confirmation from the hotel and would be paying under $150 a night. Since the reservation was made so far in advance, I would occasionally check on it to make sure everything was still okay. On Mar. 29, 2012, I went to the Super 8 website to check on the reservation and the website said it was cancelled. I called Super 8 and they said that indeed the reservation was invalid that there were no rooms currently available. I said this was an outrage and that I made my reservation so far in advance because I knew that once the race was announced, rooms would sell out quickly. I have a confirmation for a reservation. The clerk accused me of cancelling the reservation myself and said they sent me an email (which they did not). I called the corporate office and filed a complaint to which I received a response from the hotel manager stating that the reservation was cancelled by me via telephone on Dec. 16, 2011 which is a total fabrication on his part. In the meantime, I researched what Super 8 was selling other rooms for during the time I was scheduled to be in Austin, and they were going for 4-5 times more than I was supposed to pay for my room. I emailed the hotel manager Sam Kumar, and told him such and that I believed that his hotel cancelled my reservation in order to have it available and sell it for a higher rate to which Mr. Kumar flatly denied, but I strongly disagree. I did not cancel my reservation (I was looking forward to staying there) and Super 8 Hotels has an obligation to make good on their promise of accommodations or to at the very least, make me aware that they were cancelling my reservation so I could make other arrangements. They did none of those things.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank shanew80
Super8Austin, General Manager at Super 8 Austin/Airport South, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear sir,

Thank you for taking time to write review. Valid credit card is required to make reservation. Reservation is charged 1st night at the time of reservation. Your credit card declined at the time of reservation therefore; your reservation was cancelled. We call and informed to provide us the valid credit card.
I am sorry you did not have the reservation due to your fault.

Sam Kumar