“Eating there since the 60's”

Top Notch Restaurant
Ranked #360 of 3,992 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Best carhop service left in town. I have been eating here since the 60's and always make sure it is on my must visit places when I come back to town. Has been in the same family since back then. Try the number six.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

it's funny how you forget to review an eating place right under your nose that you've been to a hundred times over the years. This is a drive in (and eat in) hamburger place in north central Austin that everyone knows about and most everyone loves. They charbroil their meat and make a variety of delicious burgers reminescent of the old day. In fact, one of their claims to fame is that they were used in the filming of "Dazed and Confused".

In addition to the hamburgers, they have quite a reputation for fried chicken. Of the many times I have been there intending to get the chicken, I always fall back on my favorite, The Longhorn.

They offer other sides than the usual, such as fried okra, that varies by the day. No beer, durnit.

1  Thank Joe W
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Time warp to that grill out that your recently divorced uncle served on styrofoam. Gross and disappointing! :-(. Don't go if your craving a good meal.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The atmosphere makes you feel like you are at an old school car hop diner. Which...technically it is. The burgers are great. I have heard (and smelled) that the chicken is delicious. I personally had the chili burger. The chili tastes great and the burger was plenty big. We waited maybe 10 minutes for the food. If you dont mind some good ol american food then this place is a must visit. A little small on the inside but thats ok.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Passing thru Austin? Worth a detour - definitely. Live here? You gotta try it! I asked my wife to pick the restaurant for our wedding anniversary dinner (Where ever you want in town, dear") and she chose Top Notch Drive Inn. As a returning Austinite, this was one of her favorite places a few years ago - now we live here and we love it! The exceptionally delicious burgers are backyard flavored thanks to the charcoal grill in the kitchen - real fire! Onion rings are excellent, as are several other sides; our favorite is the fried okra (Try, some y'all!) Home made shakes and malteds are excellent. Curb service (they come to your car) is great; dining room is done in a simple, 1950's decor. A family business for 40 + years, everything at Top Notch is original, the model for modern copycats. Affordable, delicious and fun, Top Notch regularly has events like classic car clubs. Located in NW Austin between TX Hwy 1 (Mo-Pac Expressway) and Interstate 35 at 7525 Burnet Road, a few blocks south of Anderson.

Been to Top Notch Restaurant? Share your experiences!