“My Priceline Error Didn't Turn Out Bad After All”

Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
Ranked #86 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I goofed.

I clicked the wrong area of Austin when I placed my bid on Priceline and ended up staying here. There is a greyfield to the west in the form of a dying shopping mall, and it is close to the intersection of Interstate 35 and US 290. This was not the part of town I wanted to stay in.

With that said, although the property was in the middle of a remodel, it wasn't a bad experience. I did get a chuckle out of the bar specials featuring screwdrivers, hammers and similar cocktails in honor of the remodeling activity. The room itself was in good condition and a great place to try the Sleep Number Bed before you consider buying one.

The in room coffee just didn't do it for me (I like it strong) but the coffee in the restaurant was great. Too bad the rest of the breakfast buffet was mediocre and not a good value for the money.

The staff here was exemplary. Everyone asked me if everything was going well (it was) and I was especially well attended to in the restaurant.

If I had a reason to stay in this part of Austin; yes, I would do it again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
GM1Austin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2010

Thank you so much for giving us a good report card. Please note we have passed your comments about the breakfast to our food and beverage department but are glad your service was great.

The mall you mentioned is in transition and some exciting changes are about to take place to transform it. Also our $4.5 million renovation continues and our fantastic landscaping package is about to be finished as well as the the new fitness center.

We appreciate the feed back and the next time you come to Austin please call me so we can take special care of you.

Reviewed May 30, 2010

We took a one day trip to Austin and pricelined this hotel. Not a bad area somewhat near downtown Austin. First impressions of hotel are just fair. Service is average. Once they knew I booked thru priceline my wife and I received two double beds despite our request for one larger bed. Room smelled like mold. Not cleaned very thoroughly. They clearly made an attempt to update the room, but did a poor job. Not a three star hotel.

We at our hotel always want feed back. It is important to hear what our customers have to say. With that being the case I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. Please note that if you choose to book through our national web site you can request room type so you may want to consider that next time in order to get the room you want. In regards to the room please note we strive to make sure our guests are pleased so in the future if there should be any short falls one may contact a guest service agent or me personally.

We look forward to your return so that you may experience our fantastic renovation that is taking place.

Reviewed May 24, 2010

This hotel is now owned by Holiday Inn, not Radisson. It is currently (May 2010) being renovated. Once that's complete, it has all the ingredients for a great hotel. However, it was frustrating that not a single ice machine in the hotel worked, and many of the vending machines for soft drinks were either out of order or empty... not pleasant for a 89 degree day in Texas!

The hotel is clean, which is my highest priority, and it is quite convenient to the University of Texas campus, which is where we were visiting. The hotel staff was courteous and friendly, and in fact an employee who was working on the phone system overheard my frustration with the ice and vending machine problems and took it upon herself to get a full bucket of ice from one of the hotel's restaurants along with two bottles of ice cold water and deliver them to our room. That was above and beyond her call of duty, and it was greatly appreciated.

Another room rented by someone in our party had NO working electrical outlets in the room/bathroom. No TV, no hairdryer, no phone charger, no nothing. Overhead lights only. That was frustrating.

A positive is that the rooms have Sleep Number beds, a luxury for travelers who have difficulty sleeping on beds of different firmness than the bed at home.

All in all, it was a good place to stay, but here are my cautions:

- Call the property directly to determine the status of renovations.
- Make reservations through Hotels.com or Priceline.com for HUGE savings.
- Check out equipment in your room upon arrival and make arrangements to change rooms if necessary.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
GM1Austin, Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2010

Appreciate the feed back. It is always important for our customers to feel they can respond about their experience. We always listen to what our guests have to say.

Yes the hotel is undergoing a major renovation that will exceed $4.5 million which will include new ice machines and many other upgrades. Until then we will continue to strive to serve our customers to the best of our ability and will respond to any short fall brought to our attention.

General manager

Reviewed May 14, 2010

Great Hotel! More value than price!
Everything about this hotel was incredible. The room was perfect. Service was impecable, and the seminar venue was handled in the most professional way possible.
We stayed at the hotel for two weeks. Great restaurants all around within walking distance with Fedex kinkos, coffee shop, Gold's Gym, Carraba's, Papdeaux's, Cajun Bar and Grill, among other great destinations. The executive staff was hands on and were available at all times. Although there are renovations in progress, you would never know it!
We stay in hotels 300 days a year, and RARELY will I ever write a review. Some experiences are just worth writing about.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JDamian

We thank you for the great review and when our customers give us a bravo we share it with the entire staff. We are thrilled that you were so pleased with all aspects of the hotel and look forward to your return!

Reviewed April 7, 2010

For the price, this is a superb hotel in a great location in Austin. It is close to restaurants, the bat bridge, running trails, bars, and clubs. This hotel is nicer than your typical Radisson!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

We apprecite the time our customers take to list comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the acknowledgement that we did a good job and that is what we strive for every day. To underline that there is a card with my personal extension for anyone to call if we have fell short.

The hotel is undergoing a fantastic transition with a $4.5 million dollar up grade starting with a new complete relandscaping of the entire site. So our guests are going to be experiencing a new product in the upcoming year.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed here at the end of February 2010, and while the staff was friendly and helpful, this hotel is in pretty bad shape. The list of things that were broken or out of order is endless: ice machines, faucets, phones, lamps, curtains, elevator button lights, you name it! Plus, traffic noise in rooms located on the front (facing the big freeway intersection) is pretty awful! On the plus side, the attached restaurant, the Red Pepper Grill, is pretty decent for casual dining.

The desk clerk told us the hotel was just sold to Holiday Inn, and they will be spending $7.5 million to spruce it up. Once they do, it may be a decent play to stay -- but for the moment, stay away!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AZ-Dude
HiAusMid, Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2010

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We value our guests and do our best to make your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. It is true that we have new owners who have exciting plans for this property. Many of the minor things mentioned are being or already have been addressed and we are excited about the future of the property. We hope to have you back next time you are in Austin.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

I am sitting here reading all the negative reviews on this hotel and I am seriously wondering if they stayed at the same hotel as we did. This hotel was excellent and very cleaned in my eyes. I have no compliants whatsoever! We stayed for four days and each day we left for our outings we asked that housekeeping come clean the room and when we would return the room would be so clean and smelling fresh. I even had to compliment them on the hotel. My hubby works in the hotel industry so we were really really impressed. I also like that every room had balconies. I really felt at home and comfortable each night I was there. And it was very quiet. The sleep number beds were absolutely awsome and I wanna get one for my self.The hotel staff was very nice. I will be back in April and plan on staying there again :-)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your business and for recognizing our staff. The housekeepers are not always seen but we know how much of a difference they can make and we are very proud of the job they do. We look forward to having you back in April. If you haven't already made your reservations, please make sure to call the hotel directly so that we can verify that you get the very best rate possible. Thanks again.