“Upgraded hotel in a not-so-nice spot”

Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
Ranked #77 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Upgraded hotel in a not-so-nice spot”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel was nicely upgraded inside with modern and colorful carpet, walls and surfaces. The snack bar and common areas are modern and attractive, as well as the new furnishings in the bedrooms. The only problem was the noisy AC/heating unit, which we had to turn off at some point, because it would not let us sleep.

The location of the hotel is a bit misleading. It is located next to the Highland Mall, but the mall appears to have been fallen to hard times and was almost abandoned. The area around the hotel is a bit dodgy with no major restaurant or nightlife around, except for a couple of gentlemen's lounges close by. (I guess, this could be considered ...nightlife.) For the price of the room at Priceline.com with a major UT parents weekend event, it was OK.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are less noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RHolsten, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Paokara1940,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and your fellow travelers. I will be sure to share your feedback with our staff.

The hotel has undergone extensive renovations and we are pleased to know that you found them so appealing. Although our renovations are complete, the area around the hotel is going through a major face lift. In 2014, the Highland Mall, once the premier shopping outlet in Austin, will reopen its doors as Austin Community College's central campus.

Although we aren't located directly downtown, you can still get to the downtown attractions within 15 minutes by car, cab, metro rail, or city bus. And, unlike some of our downtown competitors, our parking is complimentary. On your next stay, I encourage you to stop by our front desk to get some great restaurant recommendations, all located less than a mile from our front door.

Robert D. Holsten II | Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

What a find. This hotel has just been done up and they've done a great job! Nicely decorated rooms, great amenities and friendly staff. The bar tender Michael is helpful and great!

What's even better is that as a cheaper out of town hotel you can still get to downtown via the MetroRail in 15 minutes for just $1!

Just don't go the shopping.... The local mall has definitely seen better days!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wowzimmer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel online as a cheaper out of town option but was pleasantly surprised. It's just been refurbished and the staff are keen and friendly. But to my surprise it is also minutes from Austin's metro. Great, no need to drive, free parking and European-style transport right into downtown running until 0030! A great secret spot in Austin!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This Holiday Inn is a good one but what makes it is the snack/lobby bar area. Joshua was our bartender one Monday evening recently and was a gem! He really made the place seem like a hometown bar. Thanks Joshua!

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim R
Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have stayed at this location a serveral times while in Austin for business. Great Staff, nice rooms. The area surrounding the hotel is on the downslide with several business closed down including the mall. It's close to 35 and 290, but not too close that the freeway noise will keep you awake.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma City
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I will start off by saying the staff in general was friendly (especially the front desk). My room was spacious and had a comfortable bed so no complaints there. I recently stayed for 1 night on business and was bummed to see my request for room service in the morning for breakfast wasn't picked up by the staff (door hanger was still on my door the next morning, fail.) I was in a bit of a rush since a coworker of mine was on his way to pick me up. When I walked downstairs I noticed a few other door hangers still on guests' doors that weren't picked up either. Fail again.

I told the person at the reception desk and he was apologetic and gave me a $5 voucher at the bar. It was around 7:30 and the bar wasn't ready to serve, I quickly realized. I finally got a cold bagel and coffee after a bit.

I would highly suggest to other guests to call room service themselves instead of using the door hanger since it doesn't seem like a priority for them to pick them up each night.

Room Tip: Call room service yourself, they don't always pick up the room service door hangers the night be...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RHolsten, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Our brand recognizes that our guests have increasingly demanding, even hectic work schedules. Our breakfast hangers are designed to provide our guests the pleasure of sleeping in and the convenience of having breakfast delivered when they expect it. On behalf of our management team, I sincerely apologize that we didn't start your day off right.

Within hours of your review, our operations team convened with our contracted security company to address this issue and amend our standard operating procedures. I can assure you that we use our guests' feedback to ensure that we continue to deliver on our brand's promise - to provide great hotels our guests love.

I hope you will contact me directly if your travel plans bring you back to the Austin area. We are very eager to make things right.

Kindest Regards,

Robert D. Holsten II | Front Office Manager
Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
512-451-5757
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Obviously, this is an older hotel that has been re-done. However, they did a good job!

We were in town for a Longhorn game, and decided to stay here because available hotel rooms were scarce. This turned out to be a nice stay. Staff was friendly, it was an easy check-in, and the room was clean and roomy. Comfortable bed, too. Having a coffee bar in the lobby was also great the next morning. All in all, we would stay here again. Good job guys.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple