“It started out good, but then...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Austin Midtown

Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
Ranked #74 of 198 Hotels in Austin
Purcellville, Virginia, United States
“It started out good, but then...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My friend and I were excited to stay at the Holiday Inn using rewards points. The room was clean, the AC worked well, and the beds were comfy with lots of pillows. The neighbors were watching TV, but it was very quiet in our room.

However, when we went down to breakfast the first morning, we were met with an unpleasant surprise. We've stayed at Holiday Inns with complimentary breakfasts, but this isn't one. Yet none of the signage listed a price. We walked in, sat down, and served ourselves. The food was good for hotel quality, but below average for a restaurant. There were no menus listing prices. When we finished eating, a member of staff gave us a check for $9 each, plus a space for gratuity! We were shocked--we'd specifically decided to eat the hotel breakfast to save money, but our sour orange juice, rubbery eggs, slightly stale bagel, and lukewarm bacon had cost us more than a good Austin food truck or cafe. Admittedly it was our fault for assuming, but it seemed a reasonable assumption when there were NO SIGNS OR PRICES.

We spoke to the manager, who was very polite. He offered us a voucher for a free breakfast the next day. I think he handled it as well as he could.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elle M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Elle M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you found our rooms cleans and comfortable. As for the breakfast, free continental breakfast is offered at our Holiday Inn Express chains, I see that you have stayed in a Holiday Inn which is a full service hotel and offers a full service restaurant. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

when we first got there you see the bar and the front desk. the front desk was nice the guy up there was very helpful he gave us directions to the places we wanted to go and printed step by step directions as well. the resturant was fantastic the food was great. we came back down to ask the front desk some questions and the lady who works at night was very rude. i couldnt even ask her anything without her giving me attitude. other than that it was a good stay. and i highly recommend it.

1 Thank bobby r
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This past month my company held an event at The Holiday Inn Midtown. The hotel has been totally refurbished and is like no Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in. The staff, from our point of contact to the service staff, were all excellent. The ballroom was the perfect size for our large event and hotel rooms were spotless. We are already signed up to go again next year.

1 Thank Patrick M
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

It has been a few years since I've been to this Holiday Inn. I was there today for a meeting and the hotel has been totally made over. What used to be a shabby hotel is now a nice, clean hotel with a new look. There is modern furniture and a coffee shop. The hotel staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

1 Thank Angela H
Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were there on a Tuesday and Wednesday. My wife had training at the hotel, and my daughter was at softball camp at UT. It is an older hotel that is in need of some updates. For example, our door handle consistently fell off of the bathroom door, leaving the kids trapped in the bathroom. It is located to a deserted mall, which kind of gives you an eery feeling. All that being said, the staff was extremely professional, and they kept the property rolling. The reservations were made by phone, and the attendant worked with me to get the best rate for my wife's training. As the title reads, it was convenient to the softball camp!

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Greg C,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We visited Austin this pas Saturday to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. It was fairly close drive to 6th street. You can tell they're remodeling the hotel. The room was okay. The sheets seemed clean and the room itself was pretty spacious. The bathroom was tiny, as were the beds. Each room has a balcony, but there's nothing spectacular to look at. I slept well, but nothing really stood out...the only thing that stood out was the guy's attitude at the front desk. He wasn't very pleasant to deal with. Other than that, it's a good hotel to just sleep in after going out. Oh and the pool is small, but we still had a good time there : )

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I would like to let you know that my last 3 trips to Austin, TX. I have stayed here @ the MidTown hotel and have had an outstanding experiences!! Robert Holsten has done such a fine job by helping with a reservation issue on my first stay, that now I will not look else where to sleep!

Robert has gone the extra to make me feel welcomed and has also upgraded my rooms to the point I feel special. Very professional and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business