“Best. Pork Ribs. Ever.”

Donn's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #813 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This unpretentious little place is a real gem. Our family often stops here to pick up some grub before we head out into the Hill Country. As soon as we get out of the car our noses tell us we came to the right place. Super friendly service, great food, honest prices. Did I mention that they have the best Pork ribs? Because I really should mention that they have the best pork ribs. Best pork ribs? You betcha!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Oakhill location has good brisket, beef ribs, sausage, sauce and sides. Not very busy on weekends and evenings. Family pack is a good take out option.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Donn's is overlooked mainly because it just isn't the hip place to be! But if you are looking for great food, reasonable prices and friendly staff then you have found the right place. I appreciate their attention to making sure my to go orders are packed up as they should be. Just remember they are closed on Sunday.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I haven't been to Donn's BBQ in awhile and always forget about it because of it's tucked away location. Was near the "Y" in Oak Hills this weekend and was craving beef ribs. Not very many places serve them, so I don't get to eat them very often. Donn's came to mind, so we headed over to pick some up for takeout.

First thing that hits you when you walk through the door is the smell. You know you are in for a treat when the smell permeates the entire building. The heart and soul of the restaurant is smoked in and there's no escaping greatness.

A pleasant treat was that Santiago was there at the counter waiting to share his passion with us. It showed. He's been there for years, and his love of BBQ shows in his pride as he showed us our choices. I had the ribs, potato salad and baked beans. My sweatheart had brisket and pork ribs with potato salad and pinto beans.

When Santiago's erstwhile companion handed us our order, our arms dropped low with the weight. These were some serious ribs we were about to eat. We drove faster than normal to get home.

This is where the OMG! Comes in. You know on that rare occasion when something hits your taste buds that is so overwhelmingly extraordinary you have to make spontaneous happy noises and flailing hand gestures?! We wait weeks, sometimes months sometimes to experience that moment. This was it. We were in BBQ heaven and every bite better than the one before. The meat was tender and juicy. You could taste the smokey flavor, but it didn't overpower the taste. It was sheer joy in a Styrofoam box.

If you haven't tried Donn's, make a special trip. The ambiance is true Texas BBQ, right down to the gingham table cloths and picnic tables. You can walk next door to the trailer trucks and get some ice cream afterwards. If you have'n been to Donn's, I hope this review reminds you how good it is and return. Way better than the Salt Lick without the wait and pretense.

1  Thank TallyHoHoHo
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Donn's had come recommended to us. It was down the street from our RV spot, so I treated the family and invited a friend. The cafeteria-style setting and lines of tables were fine, exuding a down home feel. The restaurant was busy with lunch traffic, which typically signifies excellent food. The staff were very friendly. The prices reasonable. The food was reasonable. I had adequate smoked briskit. My wife had the combo plate with chicken, sausage, and brisket. Nothing special.