“Tread Cautiously wear Sunglasses”
Review of Catfish Parlour

Catfish Parlour
Ranked #821 of 3,833 Restaurants in Austin
Neighborhood: South Austin
Neighborhood: South Austin
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Looked nice on our way to Patsy's just down the road - walked up some wood planks and opened the door and kabaam - they must be using half the lighting in Austin - Felt like we were walking into a high school cafeteria. The place was pretty empty, a few tables of obvious tourists - a few barfly's hanging at the bar - no on really greeted us - we asked if it was o.k to sit at a table.... Should have left - - anyway we were there, figured we would stay - I got the Grilled Catfish - I think it may have been frozen - but I was hungry, have had worse (when I cook frozen at home sometimes) - My wife had Jambalaya or Gumbo (I forget) - She was very disappointed - The Rice was cold and old... We got the check as quick as possible and left - wished we ate at Patsy's down the road

2  Thank Travelinscott29120

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've visited here several times, and each I'm befuddled that people actually love this place. They serve hushpuppy sticks; an acquired taste is required. In my humble opinion, the food here is very greasy, tasteless, and overrated. Fried fish is my absolute favorite meat. I was quite disappointed each time I visited here. Why did I return? I wanted to ensure I really didn't like and that it was not just one bad experience.

The fist several times I ate fried fish. Two weeks ago I ate the chicken fried steak and potatoes. The mashed potatoes were cold when they arrived to the table. I hate returning food because you just never know what ppl do to your food, so I just didn't eat it. I ate most of the chicken fried steak but vowed to never return.

The waitress was polite and attentive; the food just wasn't good.

1  Thank JohnnyFaye
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I sites for first time with family. My wife said she used to come here as a UT student years ago. I guess student quality parameters are different (lower) because the food was average at best. The beer was cold and the service good, but that a good restaurant does not make. They should have it down after all these years.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We have seen this place as we come into town and said we "ought to try this just as a change". Now that we've tried it, we will stick to our usual favorites when we come to Austin. The corn fritters were the best part of the meal, and these were pretty sad.... The chicken fried steak entree was pretty sad... the catfish was abit better, but this is stretching it... One down, many to go when we come back.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Visited south Austin location on Ben White for a late lunch 10-4-12 about 130pm. What a mistake. I have visited this location for years and never had this kind of service. Went though line got my food to sit down. Waitress was Hispanic woman who obviously did not not want to be there. I had to ask for tea. She never came back to my table even though she had nothing else to do. I finally got up to get more tea but she then said "oh you want more tea?" She poured it in my glass hot with no ice. Forget his place. Do not waste your money. I left a very small tip. If you offer little service expect a little tip! Check out I had to wait for someone to help cashier trying to take a to go order. I will not be back. Small catfish and tea. $10.53 is too much for this poor service.

1  Thank RegularPerson78701

Been to Catfish Parlour? Share your experiences!