“The Three of Us Enjoyed Our Meals”

Magnolia Cafe South
Ranked #29 of 3,728 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Diner, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner
Shanghai, China
“The Three of Us Enjoyed Our Meals”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We had a late night light meal on our first night in Austin and the Cafe was nearby. The Cafe was crowded, surprisingly so, IMO, on a Monday night. The place is popular with the local citizenry - younger crowd and a couple of groups that included three generations where the grandkids where twenty something. Scrambled eggs were light and fluffy. The red sauce had a tasty tomato flavor with a slight sweetness. Definitely worth a return visit pending time availability.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mahoo95

Helsinki, Finland
“Five stars for authentic atmosphere”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

As far as diner's go, finding a 24h diner that actually cares about the food, the beer and the atmosphere is a big thing. Luckily this one was right around the corner from our Airbnb so it combined as the go-to place for both (heavy) breakfast and late night dining. Definitely not healthy but I guess that's not what you look for in a place like this. Nice selection of beers, and the food was well made with good ingredients. The staff is fun to chat with, with a much more honest attitude than the typical all-smiles-but-no-substance service you get in franchises. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by both me and my colleagues.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank LassiK
Buda
“Magnolia Cafe of South Austin - a jewel”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Eat 2 meals here, dinner for 4, and breakfast the following morning. Always a line to get in. That should tell you something. Very friendly and efficient staff. Meal very good and served in a timely manner, in spite of there always being a full house to cater to. Wait staff attentive and eclectic in a most positive way. Mixed bag of customers. Great for eating and people watching.

• Visited March 2014
Chicago vicinity
“You'll enjoy the food more if you can tune out some of the attitude.”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I’m left with love-hate feelings about our visit, a feeling that I've been experiencing with increased frequency at certain DDD venues. My wife and I both thought the food was very good. My wife had a spinach and turkey salad and I had huevos rancheros. And our waitress was really good, but that probably because she was a not an art major and, therefore, lacked the "too hip to be here" attitude planly evident in nearly every other employee. A different waitress greeted when we first walked in with a look that screamed “Oh great, tourist. Why don't they eat at Denny’s and leave me alone?” I really [didn’t] enjoy watching 3 employees peeling back clothing to show each other their newest body art, or when one of that trio gave a couple older customers a rather snarky explanation of a couple Tex-Mex menu items. The again, maybe I'm just getting old. More likely it was a bad crew. I'm hoping the better servers were in their non-art classes. Because the food was above par, I’m willing to give this place another try.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank BigTool
Houston, Texas
“Starving after a concert? 2 am hunger pains? This is your spot.”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Always busy, perhaps a tad understaffed, but they NEVER close...like, ever. So, grab your friends and head there after that late movie, concert or night on the town...they have something for everyone and reasonably priced. An Austin institution....but don't expect the food to be 'great', but hey, at 2 in the am, 'pretty good' can almost taste 'great'!

• Visited December 2013