“Good food at great prices.”

Magnolia Cafe South
Ranked #30 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Diner, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Houston
“Good food at great prices.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Simple restaurant serving up great food. The chicken florentine was outstanding. Couldn't believe the prices! It was a good sign the restaurant is popular when you have to wait for a table at 11:30am on a Monday!

New York City, New York
“Classic, relaxed Austin breakfast”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We met friends here for breakfast around 9:30 on a Saturday and had a 15 minute wait. Not a problem since they provide free coffee and you can sit outside in the covered area while you wait. Most everyone had some sort of egg dish – migas, huevos rancheros, omelets. All were fresh tasting, simply and flavorfully prepared. The only thing I would criticize was the flour tortillas, which were kind of rubbery.

Our waiter came back regularly to replenish coffees and told us not to rush, even though waiting crowds were building. The parking situation is dire. If you get here past 9:00 a.m., you’ll be parking somewhere in the neighborhood side streets.

Frisco, Texas
“Oh yeah!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is our favorite place to eat in Austin. The pancakes are soooo great! The dinner specials are worth waiting for also. The acorn squash special is especially memorable.

Vancouver, Washington
“What is the attraction?”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Admittedly, maybe I am a spoiled Washingtonian who has grown accustomed to a "different" level of quality when it comes to cafes and restaurants. But, what on earth does anyone see in this place? During my stay here in Austin, I have been subjected to Magnolia 3 times, by the request of friends. While the atmosphere is friendly (but LOUD), the food is not even mediocre. Tasteless salsa, "old" peanut butter pie that had the flavor of the freezer, chewy potatoes, watery soup, stale cornbread, bacon dripping with more grease than the Exxon Valdez and the Gulf of Mexico... At least they can get the Ice Tea right. Maybe the only thing Magnolia has going for it is the fact it caters to the post "Bar Scene" crowd. There has to be "better" here in Austin. When I find it, I will post a review. Magnolia, I am through with you!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank michael j
Weatherford, Texas
“Late night delicious eats!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped here after our kayak tour to see the Congress Ave bats and I'm so glad we did! My husband had a burger and I had the tuna melt, both really tasty. We had a slice of pecan pie warmed up with some vanilla ice cream to end our meal and man it was so good. We are pie people and that pie was fantastic! The whole meal was very very good.

Visited July 2013