“Delicious, affordable and worth the wait!”

Magnolia Cafe South
Ranked #30 of 3,736 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Diner, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Norman, Oklahoma
“Delicious, affordable and worth the wait!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Have been here twice within a month. Both times were absolutely delicious! 30 minute wait the first time for a group of six, HOWEVER - the second time I was with my friend who is in an electronic wheelchair and we had to wait almost an hour for them to find space for him. People who arrived well after us were halfway through their meals by the time we were seated and I found that unacceptable. I saw plenty of tables open up that could have accommodated us. The food, at least, is wonderful - coffee, mimosas, gingerbread pancakes (spring for the real maple syrup) and egg dishes were all delicious and served piping hot. The Cafe will not split checks, so be forewarned if you are with a large party. We will go back the next time we are in Austin.

• Visited June 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Flavorful, Breakfast place with awesome service by freaks”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Seriously, this is the granola crowd and its truly worth the wait to watch this crowd. But whats even better is the delicious and organic foods. Fresh, Fresh, Fresh is how I would describe it. Order the specials of the day and you won't go wrong. There is a huge back patio in additon to the front dining room and you can go next door to a shop to wait for your table and they will announce your name over the speaker there as well. Saturdays and sundays expect a 30-45 min wait but its well worth it.

Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
“Holy Deliciousness, Batman!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Let's just get this out the way first, yes, this place can be a long wait. Austin is a town of early risers on the weekends, there's kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, jogging, biking, etc. to be done. So if you want to go for a late leisurely breakfast, good luck finding a table. But if you're willing to get an earlier start on breakfast, say, before 10:00 a.m., you'll find it much easier to find a table.

The process is simple: sign in when you arrive, list how many people are in the party and your seating preference (indoor/outdoor). My husband and I arrived at the Magnolia around 9:40 a.m. and waited just a few minutes while a couple of groups were sat ahead of us. We were in our seats about 3 minutes after arriving. Our waiter was busy but still attentive, the place was already a beehive of activity.

Since I had heard all about the gingerbread pancakes (you heard me right!) I knew that is what I wanted to try. Since you can order them in singles, short stacks, etc., my husband suggested we both order pancakes (buttermilk for him) and share some breakfast tacos. The prices are ridiculously good and the amount of food we were served was obscene. The breakfast tacos alone were enough food for a full size meal and then some. My husband later admitted that the short stack was way too much for him and I only finished about half my single pancake, which are the size of plates. Even over-ordering, our bill was still cheaper than eating breakfast at nearly everyplace else we go.

By the time we left, the place was crowded and it was standing room only in the entry area. There are benches available inside along the wall until they fill up and there is free coffee for those who wait.

On the upside, Magnolia also owns a seriously cool gift shop next door called Prima Dora. When they call your party name over the loud speaker in the restaurant, it also pipes in to their gift shop so you can shop with zeal while you wait!

• Visited June 2013
Albuquerque
“sandwich to go”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Dropped the family off at the IMAX and went here for a sandwich. Ordered while standing at a counter. It was a very busy, noisy place. Kind of glad I got it to go. The Monte Carlo sandwich was delicious with potatoes. They were very accomadating while I waited and asked if I would like something to drink.

Visited June 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great way to start the day”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Real South Austin Cafe. Friendly staff and diners included locals & tourists. Breakfast is offered 24/7 - my kind of place. Prompt service and menu included Texas influenced breakfast offerings (i.e. Migas, Huevos Rancheros & great Breakfast Tacos), along with variety of omelettes, pancakes, etc. Will definitely return.

Visited June 2013