“the BEST tacos”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have lived in Texas most of my life, and these are absolutely the best tacos I have had--hands down. You can't go wrong, no matter what you order. Not only is the food extra tasty, but the prices are super cheap. I visited The Tamale House with my husband and parents for the first time last weekend. We each ordered a meal, and my husband ordered extra tacos, too. The total was $15--you just can't beat that! There are a few tables inside and a few outside, but the food is meant to be "to go". (We sat and ate outside.) This is not a "sit and drink some margaritas" restaurant. This is definitely a place to NOT miss though! I cannot wait to go back!

1  Thank Brooke D
There are newer reviews for Austin's Tamale House

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I'm from Austin and have had the chance to taste many breakfast tacos ... and by far The Tamale House serves my favorite! The food is inexpensive but don't expect a place to sit (besides two tables outside or your car), AC or a waiting area. It is always crowded but well worth the wait. My only complaint is that they aren't open on Sunday!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

as the lengthy line suggests. I once fed my entire company breakfast for $18. Worth stopping in for a chalupa or breakfast taco. A local legend.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

In an inadvertant nod to "keeping it weird" in Austin, the Tamale House does not serve tamales. Well, it's hard to say they serve anything really, as it is a take-out only establishment that happens to have a few tables out front amongst the grackles and the incessant traffic circulation. Cheap and delicious, it is beloved locals but also beset by miserly tourists during SXSW and other city festivals. Accessible to I35 from Airport Blvd., it draws from all areas of town including the student-infested areas of Hyde Park and the east side. A tremendous value, $3 plates abound with crispy tacos and carne guisada leading the pack. BREAKFAST TACOS START AT $.85!!!!! Call ahead, go to the head of the line when you pick-up, get plenty of their fresh salsa at the slovenly salsa station, and chow down. Personal recommendation: taco meat, rice, & cheese soft tacos!

Reviewed May 24, 2011

This is the quintessential "dive" and you can tell that no money is really invested back into the infrastructure. There is a tiny place to stand to place your order, a counter, and then basically the kitchen that you are staring straight into while they make your tacos. Maybe that is why they can have a menu that puts the "value" menu at fast food places to shame. They have wonderful breakfast tacos and will put any combination you can think of on a taco. Their salsa is fresh and very hot (if you like it mild then I don't know how well you will like it). When you order you can buy a half pint or pint, or if you have just a few tacos, you can fill some tiny plastic containers for free with the spicy goodness. As others have mentioned, the best thing to do is call your order in about 10-15 min before you arrive and then you get to pass any line and walk to the side for phone orders.

I have purchased tacos here so many times I have lost count and have never once had an error on my order. If you like fancy, then stay away from this place. The napkins are rolls of paper towels, you serve yourself salsa (no pre-made little containers already filled, instead you use a large squeeze bottle and fill them yourselves) and there is pretty much no place to sit. I recommend picking up breakfast and then heading to any park within 10-15 minutes and having a nice outdoor breakfast picnic. We usually bring our own drinks or pick something up at the Mexican Market next door.

Keep in mind that when it is busy, parking gets pretty creative in their lot. If you absolutely can't find a place to park just wait around since the line moves fast and people are always coming and going since many take it with them (since we've already established there really aren't a lot of options if you want to eat there).