“This place is like a landmark”
Review of Sam's BBQ

Sam's BBQ
Ranked #1,749 of 3,779 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

It is worth driving a bit off the beaten path- on 12th street , east of 35. This is what down home southern BBQ should taste like. This place is a shack, and I love it. If you don't like it, I guess you are a corporate chain- plastic food kind of person. This is a foodie stop!

There are newer reviews for Sam's BBQ

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Saw this place on "feed the beast"...not sure what has happened but what an awful little place. Staff is rude, mutton chops were fatty and cold, brisket was very fatty, chewy and lacked flavor. Potato salad was warm (not intentionally) and tasted spoiled. Beans were the only palatable item on my plate. The place is in a very rough neighborhood. There were some hardcore looking dudes wondering around extorting money by saying they protect cars for a fee. One was sitting on my car when I came out. Not ever going back....ever. I am all for finding off the beaten path places for great food but this place ain't one of them.

1  Thank rbaelp
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My son & I visited Austin 3/14/13 and stopped at Sam's bbq, and we both agree the brisket was tender, but tasted just "OK", nothing great.

The worst part of our experience was the employee's attitude. He was not courteous, had a scowl on his face, and the tone of his voice was as if we were his enemy. Not a comfortable experience.

I will not go there again; but to an establishment that appreciates my business, and at least makes me feel welcome.

1  Thank scubaal77
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My first trip here was during SXSW years ago with one of the senior editors of the Austin Chronicle. The neighborhood is changing but it's still a little gritty - you'll have to catch a cab or drive from downtown but it's worth it. This is a good place to go in the evening, sit outside, have a beer and enjoy some deep eastside Austin BBQ. Personally I LIKE this place a lot, it's not a white napkin joint, hipsters are not flocking to this place with their fixies and swirly mustaches, it's just real people, eating real BBQ. Leave the rock star 'tude down on SoCo, that stupid stuff will just get you laughed at here.

1  Thank E Y
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Everything is good on the meat list. Everything. Questionable area late at night.