“Yummy food but still working off the calories.”

Trudy's Texas Star Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #299 of 3,871 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: University of Texas
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Went for dinner with my family. The place was flat out and we had to wait for a table for our group of 7.
Once we were seated and served the food was fine but smothered in yellow cheesy gloop.
There's a huge number of km to work off all the calories I digested. Portions are large and I didn't eat it all.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Read some good reviews, thought we'd check out Trudy's for some Tex-Mex foods.

Good chips, spicy salsa. Very fresh guacamole.

The Shrimp Chipotle Cream Enchiladas were very fresh, but one note. Lots of cheese, shrimp, but a lot of sameness. The same could be said for the Ciro's Special. lots of mushrooms, cilantro, onions and anahiem peppers, chile con queso, spinach, tomatoes and avocado. So lots of good fresh ingredients, but no complex favors.

Our server was absolutely superb. I regret not remembering his name. In between serving his tables, he swept the floor, fixed a rocking table, and generally made the place cleaner. plus his suggestions were honest and helpful.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am from El Paso and I like peppers the hot kind. Thank god for Trudy's or I would be in a pickle. Few places in town use hot pepper.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our first time in Austin we decided to try Trudy's. We sat outside on the patio and tried some margaritas that were delicious, not too sour. I wish the patio was bigger so we could have sat at a table. The chips and salsa were very good, although I liked the green better! I ordered the Chicken Chimi and that was amazing! My sister had the Chili relleno with pork and we both agreed, it was the best we had had. The only complaint was that the rice and beans were a little on the cool side.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The food is always good. Never a bad experience other than really long waits. By the time the food comes I am often full from the chips and salsas. The green is my favorite. I love the fried Avocado dish and the chicken stuffed with chorizo....YUM!!