“Great BBQ”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue
Neighborhood: South Austin
Neighborhood: South Austin
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Nothing fancy about the decor but it was some Great BBQ!!

There are newer reviews for Vic's Barbecue

Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have been to Vic's twice. I recently moved to the area. My friend lives on the street behind Vic's. (Yes, I know...scary!!). Anyways, he always told me never to try Vic's. He said they are too expensive and not very good.

Being a BBQ fiend that I am, I had to try it. Even after being warned. I stopped in on a weekday, on an off hour. It wasnt lunch time but it wasnt dinner time either. The place was empty and I ended up ordering two sliced brisket sandwiches, which I ate in my truck behind the restaurant. The sandwich looked decent, until I got in my truck to eat it. I was shocked at the horrible cuts of brisket and the amount of fat put in my sandwich.

So I end up eating it anyways, I was in a rush. I had bought the 2nd sandwhich for my friend, who was unable to eat it, so I ate it right then. The 2nd sandwich was full of fat too!! There was as much fat as there was lean meat. Its 50 percent fat sandwich, and 50 percent lean sandwich. No thank you.

So I always told myself I would not waste my money again....so I thought.

I recently started working across the street from Vic's. The rednecks at my job recommended Vic's and took me along on their lunch today. I've never eaten lunch with these guys and I kinda stalled at going to Vic's. But I said, why not, these guys seem to think its good...that was my first mistake.

We get to Vic's. Wait in line for what seems forever. I order my food from the butcher who can hardly speak English (that's okay, Im from the Mexican border and am hip to this). So I ask him for a sliced brisket sandwich and 3 pork ribs. I also got some beans on my plate, some onions and pickles and some sauce. Then I grabbed a tea.

The total came out to just under $13. For lunch. The guy at the register kinda laughed and said it would be much cheaper had I ordered a lunch plate. My response was "why didnt your guy cutting my meat point that out to me?". I was like, why should I pay for this, if you know its wrong??? I felt like he cheated me right there.

So I shrug it off and pay the full price. I sit down and low and behold, there is more fat and gristle on my sandwich than edible brisket. The fat outweighs the meat. This is not good.

I ended up throwing my food away, right in front of the cashier, so he could see me do it. I will never again step foot in that dirty little BBQ place. If you look around at the decorations (like I did, as I sat there with my food in the trash can), I noticed that they had not won a BBQ award since 1988. They opened their store in 1987. This does not surprise me. They have not been awarded anything in twenty years. I think that speaks volumes on their BBQ.

I was pretty upset about the $13 fat sandwich I bought. For $14 in Lockhart, I can get two pounds of lean cut brisket with no a piece of fat on it. I would have been better off spending $5-$7 in gasoline to drive to Lockhart to purchase one pound of brisket for $7. I would have had a much better piece of brisket and a much nicer cashier.

Vic's, I am sorry but you gotta go!!

2  Thank blueb00