“Amazing food”

Boat House Grill
Ranked #256 of 3,779 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

The hubby and I visited this place and so Happy that we did, so much different things to choose from besides seafood. Enjoyed it so much that I can't wait to go back, hoping to go back for my birthday.

There are newer reviews for Boat House Grill

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I'm very pleased The Boat House Grill stands in the face of the growth (progress?) which continues to erode Austin's original character! If you're in the mood for a great burger stand burger, fries or catfish this is your kind of place...no designer food here! Quick, friendly service and a very casual atmosphere. If you have kids, there is plenty for them to do in the playground area out back...

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Here is a throw back to great days gone by. Walk up to the window and order from a selection of seafood, chicken fried chicken, sandwiches or many other selections. Pick up your food at the next window when they call your name and find a table inside in the air conditioning or outback in the covered and cool patio. There was a big play area for kids (we did not have any with us). Our food was great. I had the special of the day which was shrimp tacos and they were the best I've had. The sandwich was also very good. They had lots of Texas beers and NA drinks as well. If you're looking for fancy, stay away., but if you want good food in a country Texas atmosphere, try it out.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

This laid-back place on FM 620 has great fried catfish, fries and burgers and cold beer.
All their entrees are delicious and fresh. The only drawback is that they don't have good wines to go along with the great meals.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I live nearby and have eaten here a couple times recently.

I think the atmosphere is cool: it is not too fancy but is comfortable. Plus in the covered area outside they built it around the big oak trees, so the tree goes up through the ceiling. That is cool.

The playscape area is better than most because it is shaded PLUS the parent/eating area is shaded PLUS parent can sit and see their kids play all at the same time. Good design.

Food: I will say that the fries are GREAT. Consistently good, crunchy exterior with a soft inside. Well seasoned. The fried pickle chips were a miss for me…all I could taste was salty batter and none of the pickle inside. The fried chicken sandwich was out of proportion…the meat/bun/toppings ratio was all off and as a result it became a sloppy mess. On a return visit, the hamburger was better - cooked as requested and a good, basic hamburger. Nothing fancy.

Kids eat free on Wednesday nights. So, depending on if you have kids, that is either a really good time to try it or a time to avoid it.

Been to Boat House Grill? Share your experiences!