“Try happy hour for value--or daily special entree”
Review of North By Northwest

North By Northwest
Ranked #87 of 3,816 Restaurants in Austin
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Austin
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went here twice in the same week. Once ate appetizers at happy hour. The next night we ate off the dinner menu. Dinner experience was better. I got the daily special entree and it was fabulous.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Good food, great service and good knowledge of the beer they serve, make and what is in the market. I like NbyNW, its a great place with big burgers, plus healthy food, and roomy or bar seating. Its a great place!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

For something with this name, the cuisine is tasty Southwestern. The abiance is chatty, and sometimes musical, so prepare to eat and enjoy without a lot of chatter.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We recently tried NXNW again and were pleasantly suprised. We arrived for a quick holiday lunch on Christmas eve and enjoyed some really good food. Ordered two lunch entrees, the Tortilla Crusted Tilapia and the Smoked Pork Tenderloin, which were both prepared very well. The proteins were done to order, but the standout was the risotto in both dishes. Also enjoyed a craft brewed hefeweizen with our meal for the final final touch on a great experience. Our server also deserves kudos. Her name was Morgan and she was awesome. We have dined here quite a few times in the past without any remarkable notables, but today was the exception. Hopefully this is the start of a trend!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

While recently shopping at the Gateway Mall (bounded by Mopac, 183, and 360), we were unimpressed by the eating opportunities at the mall, so we consulted Google and found that North by Northwest was very close by. Looking at Tripadvisor, the reviews were mostly positive, so we thought we'd give it a try. Parking at the restaurant seemed to be valet only, so we drove a block or so away and walked back - I don't readily pay someone to park my car for me. Other reviewers have noted the popularity of NXNW (that's what they call themselves) among young professionals (of which Austin has many) and I agree. The front part of the restaurant (the brewery/bar potion) was crowded and very loud. Everyone drinking, talking louder than the person next to them, and seemingly happy. On announcing we were there for dinner, we were mercifully escorted farther back into the restaurant portion of the building where it was much quieter. We ordered drinks and they were good, perhaps justifying the enthusiastic reception of the crowd out front. I had the ribeye steak, and I forget what my wife had, but she was perfectly happy with it -- until she tried my steak. Then she stopped talking about her meal and started wondering how we could prepare a steak like that at home. Although an avid griller, I said to forget it, that's why we eat out. Did we like this place? Yes!

Been to North By Northwest? Share your experiences!