“Great Views”
Review of The Oasis

The Oasis
Ranked #104 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: FM 620 and 2222
Cheshire
“Great Views”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is a huge restaurant on several floors. The car park is so big that a shuttle service operates to take you from car to restaurant.

The menu is not that big and not that exciting. However the food was quite good but not spectacular. What is spectacular is the views from the terraces over the lake. Apparently at sunset it is truely special, but even mid afternoon when we visited it was very good.

There is a large number of staff, but possibly due to the fact this restaurant is on several floors, service is not that quick.

There appears to be several people going round the tables trying to sell things to you. When we were there a balloon seller was doing the rounds making novelty balloon hats as required.

Outside there is a shopping complex with gift shops, wine shops, ice cream shops etc. You could happily spend a number of hours just wandering around.

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
“Awesome Sunset”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place is beautful. We sat upstairs in the Star Light room overlooking the cliffs and the water. The band was playing...music was great....the view was gorgeous and then just when we thought it couldn't get any better I looked up and the sun was setting. It was like a postcard or something. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait to go back! If you stop through Austin you absolutely MUST stop by the Oasis on Lake Travis.

Visited April 2013
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful view!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I visited here this past weekend with my boyfriend for a couple of drinks. We're from the Houston area and were in Austin for the weekend. He had already been here before and let me know that the food was just too average for the price which is why we only had drinks at the bar then walked around to enjoy the scenery. It's a beautiful place, no doubt about that (including the drive there!) I really loved The Oasis and could not get over how gorgeous it was.

I would definitely recommend this place if you want to have a few drinks while enjoying a great view. I also heard that at sunset, it can get pretty packed because of how popular the view is. We didn't stay for that, being that we wanted to go down to the actual lake instead.

Overall, for just a quick stop to enjoy with your loved ones, it's a great place to see! I can't comment on the food only because I didn't try it. But from the plates I saw that people around were eating, nothing too great that caught my attention.

Kansas
“My second and last visit”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Oasis is such a landmark restaurant for Austin that we wanted to save it for special occasions. I went once for my Dad's birthday and the food was awful. It had been years but I wanted to try it again. This time it was my birthday.

First we asked for a nice table, and they said outside in the shade would be nice. The first table was in full sun and I had to ask to move because they promised us shade. The second table was about 1/4 shaded, and the rest was full sun. I did not want to be a stickler, so I suffered in the sunlight sweating my brains out. I thought surely a margarita would help, but that was not to be.

The next issue was the food was just as awful as the first time. The orders were wrong and a burger my husband ordered as medium came dripping with blood it was so rare.

Since it was my birthday I ordered the $18 margarita since it was supposed to come with a shaker and was served out of it. Instead I just got a regular tea glass with a regular margarita that lasted for about three sips. I was told the bartender shook it at the bar. I questioned the manager and the waitress about charging patrons so much for that drink and they said it was normal.

So if you do go, PLEASE DO NOT ORDER THE $18 MARGARITA. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

Even though I tried to order a second margarita it took so long that we were done eating. I would have rather been slightly more inebriated for my birthday dinner, but their drinks were overpriced and worthless.

I still gave her a 20% + tip because that is just the kind of person I am, but the service SUCKED.

The food SUCKED.
The view SUCKED because it was not shaded and you fried out in the blaring sun.
The management sucked, and they were not understanding at all.

I wont be back, but I know it wont do any good to tell people not to come because it is a landmark. Which is sad because the restaurant will never improve.

But if you have any sense, do not go to the oasis. There are other restaurants in the area that are better.

2 Thank Juliebork
“The only reason to come here is the view.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've eaten here three times and every time I tell myself I'm not coming back because the food is always such a disappointment. Sure, if you're not going for the food, it's a nice hangout. This has a huge lakeside complex of windows and tables with great views. Go for the drinks and snacking, don't go for a nice dinner, don't waste the money. This is a well known fact about the Oasis and if the owner cared to make the dinner as pleasurable as the views, this would be the hottest spot in Austin.

1 Thank Clayton C