“Excellent Mexican Food - in upscale setting - at Barton Creek MALL”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #374 of 3,700 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Abuelo's offers guests a chance to experience the incredible flavors of Mexico, combining authentic, made-from-scratch standards with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Executive Chef Luis Sanchez creates each recipe using only premium ingredients to provide superior taste, rich with culture. Choose from the impressive selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties like the best Flan in Austin. Escape to the courtyard under our beautiful sky and savor the exceptional food and drink that is Abuelo's signature. You can also choose to come in for one of our weekly specials, including Tapas and drink specials Sun-Fri 3pm-7pm or reverse happy hour from Sun-Thurs 8.30-10Pm. Experience and discover why Abuelo's has been voted the #1 Mexican restaurant for six straight years by America's most respected independent consumer rating magazine.
New Braunfels, Texas
“Excellent Mexican Food - in upscale setting - at Barton Creek MALL”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This is an upscale Mexican restaurant. Reasonably priced and delicious. Nice wait staff and usually very prompt.

I recommend Chicken Medallions. We have had several entrees and they are all good. We go about every 2-3 months.

• Visited February 2014
Bobby A, Owner at Abuelo's, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
So glad you're a fan! It's wonderful to hear you loved the Chicken Medallions and that your servers are always spot on. Hope we'll see you again soon!

All the best
Bobby A., Owner

Austin, Texas
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Abuelo's is one of our very favorites. The staff has provided consistently superior quality food and good service in all the time we have been visiting there. The shredded beef is especially flavorful, so much so that I wish Chef Luis would share his recipe. The jalapeno cheese fritters are heavenly. If there was one thing that detracts from dining there, it is the result of their being so successful. The booths are showing the effects of having many thousands of butts parked on them. They need replacement. Nevertheless, the food and service are excellent, and I would go back if I had to sit on the floor. Well, maybe not sit on the floor, because I would bring my own chair. Of all the Mexican places in Central Texas, this is numero uno on my list and I recommend it without reservation or qualification. By the way, the pictures of Flamer's and Orange Julius on here are NOT Abuelo's.

• Visited February 2014
Bobby A, Owner at Abuelo's, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
So glad you're a fan! It's awesome to hear that everything from the service to your meal was spot on. I'll be sure to share your kind words with our entire staff. Hope we'll see you again soon!

All the best,
Bobby A., Owner
Amarillo
“Shredded Beef Enchiladas Rock”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a great place for Mexican food. Shredded beef enchiladas are always a hit and love their chicken salad too. Queso is great with thin tortilla chips!

• Visited October 2013
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Yummy welcome back to TexMex”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was in Austin on business and I managed some personal time with a friend and his mom. We met at Abuelo's which was convienent to where I was staying downtown and had a nice location with a great view of downtown skyline from their parkin lot. As I got inside, the greeter was right there and courteous as can be - just love Texas hospitality.

The Tacate was nice and cold and the food was delivered quickly. And for 3 people who walked away quite full and satisfied the price was a great value.

• Visited August 2013
“Good Mexican food.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is not a typical Tex Mex restaurant. They offer the traditional entrees, but they also have house specialties. I ordered the enchiladas, and they were delicious.

Visited July 2013

Been to Abuelo's? Share your experiences!