“Never Again”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Northwest Austin
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I finally got friends to meet me on my side of town for lunch and made such a bad choice, I'll probably be stuck going to their neck of the woods from now on. First, we all noticed how filthy our booth's surrounding wood trim and ledge was. It was caked on with dust, which always leads me to believe the kitchen might also be dirty. I'm surprised we stayed. We got the infamous queso, and it was cold, BOO! A friend ordered the turkey avocado sandwich and only ate one bite because she said it was so bad. When the waiter came to clear our table, he didn't even notice she only ate one bite and just took it away. (I would have asked if something was wrong!) And the waiter failed my ultimate test, which is to refill my drink before it's empty. I had to wait quite a while for a refill after my cup was empty. Also, the room we were in was so loud that we had to shout to hear each other talk. You know, you can eat at these places just because you hear all the hype and you want to be all "Austin"-like, but there are so many other places to choose from. None of us will ever go back.

There are newer reviews for Kerbey Lane Cafe

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I ended up dining at Kerby Lane Café on the recommendation of the front desk guy at my hotel on a recent business trip and because it was one of the few places still open late at night. My expectations were pretty low, I was just travel-tired and hungry, but was pleasantly surprised. The service was friendly and fast - our waiter made us feel like "regulars". My friend and I shared sweet potato fries - which were delicious - you could tell they were prepared from scratch unlike some places. I was torn between the fried avocado tacos and the fish tacos, but opted for the latter once our server told me they were out of the avocado ones (it was pretty late at night). The fish tacos were, however, excellent. Fresh, juicy fish, perfectly sized portion and amazing sauce. The next pleasant surprise was when the bill came. So reasonably priced - unbelievable for such fresh and tasty food delivered by such nice friendly wait staff.

I understand this is part of a chain and I haven't visited the others but based on my experience at this location, I would strongly urge you to give it a try. Oh and I've heard their pancakes are amazing.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stopped here one night while in town on business. Several people had recommended this place to us. We ordered margaritas which weren't very good and queso and chips. I ordered a salad which I should have ordered the dressing on the side because it was drenched with dressing and I couldn't hardly eat it. The waitress was very attentive but almost too much so to the point of just being annoying. Food was not great and wouldn't return.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We actually ate @ a Kerby Lane more than once during our recent stay in Austin and each location was excellent. My favorite dish were the lemon pancakes with blueberries. Oh my!! What a treat. The portions served @ this cafe are large, the ingredients fresh and the variety is large enough to meet almost any dietary craving. We go to Kerby Lane every time we are in Austin. Try it.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I recently dined at Kerbey Lane on Research Blvd. in Austin. Ate with other family members there for breakfast on Saturday, June 15th. We were promtply seated upon arrival. After we were seated, the service at the table for taking drink orders, refills for coffee, wait for food to be served seemed to be a little slow. Once we received our food, the pancakes were served on the "little over done" side. Breakfast was just average.

There are other breakfast establishments in this area that we would probably look for next time and give them a try.