“Food was fine but expensive”

Cool River Cafe, Steakhouse & Southwestern Grille
Cuisines: Southwestern, Steakhouse, Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Amherst
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had dinner here last night with a group and the food was perfectly fine but nothing really special. The prices were not out of line for this type of place but I just think you can do better. I would not go back when there are so many superior restaurants in Austin to chose from.

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

What's not to like. The food is good, service is great (thank you Stephanie) and the atmosphere is perfect. It's like being at home while being waited on. The cigar room in the middle is a definite plus. This place is huge, and it's well worth the visit.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Pass this place a lot when I travel to Austin and decided to stop in. I had looked at the menu prior to coming in and was somewhat surprised by the atmosphere. The bar area was huge and reminded me of Fox and Hound, but not as nice. There really wasn't much of a decor...I expected a more upscale place based on menu and price. The bar menu was more reasonably priced then the restaurant menu, but still a little overpriced. The food was good, but nothing special. However, I only had 2 items and the food coming out of the kitchen looked delicious. I'll probably give it another try.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I go to Cool River (Bar area) at least once every couple of months. I am in my late thirties and enjoy the more 'mature' crowd. The live bands are always good and have people dancing all night long. Good news is NO MORE SMOKING IN THE RESTAURANT! That was my only problem with the place. SOLVED! I have been to the restaurant side once (many years ago) and it is extremely pricey and I did not care for the food. The bar menu is reasonably priced and food is very good - love the buffalo potatoes and chipotle burger. If you want to steer clear of downtown's hustle and bustle, this is an excellent option!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Spent my first evening here with my family in December and enjoyed a great dinner. Ambiance is warm and cozy with a touch of Texas, wine collection offers a great selection, food is a wide range of beef, fowl and fish. All our dishes were well seasoned and cooked perfectly. We shared 5 side dishes for 5 of us and had 2 dishes for leftovers so their portions are generous. The bar is enormous and a definite place we'll be returning to hang out; pool tables, shuffle board tables and big screen tv's. Oh, you have to save room for dessert - had the Tutti's apple pie and their bourbon pecan bread pudding, OMG!