“Still good after all these years”

The County Line on the Lake
Ranked #94 of 3,736 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
College Station, Texas
“Still good after all these years”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

It may be just my taste, but I still love eating here! We went for lunch on a Monday so it was not crazy crowded like it can be on a weekend or game day. We were seated in the bottom section with a view of the river which was nice. It seems like the turtle population in the river there has exploded. They were all sunning themselves floating in the water which was neat. I went with the 3 meat platter like always with sausage, lean brisket, and beef ribs but I can no longer eat it by myself as it is huge. We also ordered the non free bread which was very good. I have never found another place that has such big, beefy ribs. The one negative is that one of my ribs was too charred in one section, but the rest was still good. I love the sauce as well. This place has been a family tradition for 20+ years and still worth a visit.

• Korean first
Newtonmore, Scotland, United Kingdom
“I'd fly to the states just to eat here.”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I loved my meal here. The meal was amongst the best I've ever had, the atmosphere was great - the turtles on the lake entrancing, and the beer perfect.
I really hope I can get back some day.

Austin, Texas
“Go see turtles in the river”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were invited by a friend for lunch. I wanted to eat a lighter meal and found it dissapointing to find no salads on the menu. My salmon dish was good, but not great. Its sad when the highlight of your meal is a baked potato, but it was. Server half way through the meal cleared my plate then while he was doing so dropped a dirty napkin in my friends half full 8 dollar margarita. Then stared at the margarita and walked away. I thought it was a joke. My friend was confused and upset she couldnt even enjoy the drink we paid for. She even had to take the napkin out herself. No offer for a new drink or even an apology. She said her pork ribs were undercooked. Probably thats why she was wanting her margarita. I wish I could have thanked my friend for the recommendation.

1 Thank iwona2design
Austin, Texas
“Meat and a View”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

County Line was one of the first "upscale" BarBQ restaurants, and I come here for the nice view of the water and decent, albeit pricey, BBQ.

This place is typically busy, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. It is not uncommon to see a tour bus of some kind in the parking lot. The restaurant can get a bit loud but the food comes out pretty quickly.

Meats: I like the brisket, which has a nice smoky flavor and is tender. The turkey breast is lean and flavorful. My wife likes the sausage, I think it is a bit greasy (but hey, most sausage is...).
We don't do ribs very often.

Sides: Limited to beans (could use more seasoning, in my opinion), potato salad (a moderately chunky but well-seasoned mixture of potatoes, mustard/mayo, celery, and pickles), and cole slaw (a sweet mayonnaise-based slaw with very thick chunks of cabbage and carrots).

Bread: There is some kind of rye bread that is free, but hardly anyone gets it because the loaves of bread you pay for (white or wheat, in half or whole loaves) are just heavenly. A warm, slightly crisp crust with a creamy soft inside just melts in your mouth. The bread is worth the trip alone.

Dessert: Homemade ice creams and cobbler, if you have room. With bread and the "lite" plate (2 meats plus 3 sides) there is hardly room for dessert!

Kids menu: Servers have always been very accommodating to our kids. There are some BBQ plates for the kids plus some non-BBQ plates. They come with a drink and ice cream too, but chips instead of sides.

The only downside: $70 to feed the family. Like I said, it is "upscale."

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MALDRIDGERN
Placentia, CA
“Only if you LOVE BBQ”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a large, loud and very busy restaurant on the water off the highway. The menu has no salads, one fish dish and a lot of BBQ choices. The marbled brisket is very tasty as is the sausage.
The regular brisket and the chicken are dry unless you douse them with the BBQ sauce. The baked potato with all the sides is tasty.

• Visited June 2013