“Carmelo's of Austin”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Red River
Transit: Armadillo Trolley.
Description: Since 1981 Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano has been one of the top Italian restaurants in Texas, with locations in Houston (near the Energy Corridor) and Austin (conveniently downtown). At both locations, we offer the extraordinary Italian food we are known for plus a wide selection of traditional meat, seafood, and pasta dishes, as well as creating modern versions with vegetarian and vegan, and gluten-free options. Carmelo's features a full bar that offers a selection of Italian beers and liquors, along with an extensive wine collection consistently recognized with the "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence." Carmelo's is perfect for your lunch business meeting, family dinner, a casual group of friends, or for private events and celebrations in one of several private dining rooms accommodating up to 140 guests.
Austin, Texas
“Carmelo's of Austin”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This restaurant was recommended and did not disappoint! Great location, excellent ambience, good wine list and a great menu. Service was great! Food was wonderful. I was especially delighted to see that they had 2 dishes (that are usually prepared tableside) that are hardly ever offered anywhere else.....Steak Diane and Bananas Foster. I had both and they were really, really good! They even had a strolling accordion player. I would definitely return to Carmelo's!

Gainesville, Virginia
“Timeless Italian”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

There are many excellent restaurants in Austin, and this one is probably the best of the best. There was an excellent wine menu, we had an excellent chianti. All five of us had different meals, each was outstanding. Two of us got dessert - a cheesecake, and a tiramisu. With the tiramisu we got the history of tiramisu from our waiter. For me, they had a separate gluten free menu, and the waiter explained that most of the entrees could be made GF if I desired. Without my asking, I was brought out GF bread, which, was the best GF I've ever, ever tasted. Best food, best service, best atmosphere.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian I have had in a long time, wonderful service. ”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service and prefect Italian atmosphere with building and garden area outside. Great wine selection. Offered us free appetizer of some sort of sausage in a cream/meat sauce. It was very good. Meals were all wonderfully prepared and presented and we finished every bite. Risotto was perfectly cooked and tasted great. Nice that they offered small and large sizes on some entres. Deserts were not run of the mill. Large selection and hard to choose which one to have. Great presentation and weren't overly sweet. Finished them as well.

Austin, Texas
“I'm so conflicted...”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I'd love to give this place 6 stars for some elements, then some things realistically rare a three or four. Bottom line, I'd love to buy this place, make just a few tiny changes and make a million dollars leaving everything else as-is. The building/location/ambiance: really smart that they have free valet. Parking in downtown Austin is a nightmare. And the guy they had directing in the lot was great and friendly. Courtyard is amazing and beautiful, it would be beyond amazing to host an outdoor party on a fall evening with twinkle lights everywhere (I went for lunch so no idea if they have twinkle lights in the courtyard, but if I bought or rented the place, they'd be there. What I'd change is that the interior is very dated and a few fairly minor changes could make this spectacularly high end casual-elegant. For the food: the Pisa salad was incredible. Presented well and flavor excellent. Any changes there would be just plain wrong. On the other hand, the gumbo: as an 'interpretation' of gumbo it was good. It had nice flavor and the roux had nice color. But the menu references Louisiana so I had a certain expectation. Louisiana gumbo does not have scallops. Nor chunks of veggies. But again, it tasted good. Other plates around the table and restaurant looked excellent. Service: it was good all around. Friendly and available without being patronizing or overbearing. So, I'm stingy with my 5 star reviews, but there are very few restaurants that cause me to have the thought, "Man, I'd love to buy this place". So five stars it is, even though it wasn't absolutely flawless.

texas
“Old time Italian restaurant vibe and food was excellent”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I've been to Austin many times but was not familiar with Carmelo's which has been in the same downtown location for over 25 years. We, more or less stumbled in as we were looking for a lunch place around 6th St. We were happy with our serendipitous find. The menu was a bit pricey (for a lunch) but the food was excellent, particularly the chicken ossobuco style with mushroom risotto. The tasty pizza, with fresh tomatoes and greens, was more than 2 people could eat. Given the mediocre nature of most Italian restaurants, Carmelo's is a real find.