“Good food and atmosphere, high end of price range”
Review of Carmelo's Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Red River
Transit: Armadillo Trolley.
Description: Since 1981 Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano has been one of the top Italian restaurants in Texas, with locations in Houston (near the Energy Corridor) and Austin (conveniently downtown). At both locations, we offer the extraordinary Italian food we are known for plus a wide selection of traditional meat, seafood, and pasta dishes, as well as creating modern versions with vegetarian and vegan, and gluten-free options. Carmelo's features a full bar that offers a selection of Italian beers and liquors, along with an extensive wine collection consistently recognized with the "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence." Carmelo's is perfect for your lunch business meeting, family dinner, a casual group of friends, or for private events and celebrations in one of several private dining rooms accommodating up to 140 guests.
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Carmelo's is directly across from the Austin Convention Center and convenient for conference-goers. Very nice warm atmosphere, with extra touches, like a strolling acordian-player, a nice outside patio area, delicious warm bread with olive-oil Parmesan to dip it in. It was a busy night when I went and it looked like my server had many tables. He was as attentive as he could be, and many things I needed, like more water, plates taken away or delivered, were done by other staff members in a very efficient way. I ordered a capellini pasta dish with truffle sauce (sorry, can't remember the exact name). When it came out, I have to admit that the seemingly small portion seemed to dwarf the plate, and for the price, I expected more. Price aside (and it is in the "splurge" category for me), the meal was excellent, and turned out to be more pasta than it initially appeared to be. I was by myself, and I liked the fact that I was seated at a table for two, toward the back of an upper level area. I didn't feel conspicuous as a single diner and had a nice view of the other diners. Overall, a great dining experience.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Just before Christmas, our extended family of 8 was "desperate" to find a place for dinner. We called Carmelo's, made a reservation, and were greeted warmly and taken to a very nice round table for eight. The service and food were impeccable. The noise level was low enough that we were able to easily have conversations and enjoyed a nice leisurely dinner. The accordion player was a nice touch and played a medley of Christmas carols and Italian songs.

We enjoyed our dining experience there so much that we came back the next evening for dinner and had the same table, much to our pleasure!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

4 of us had Christmas Eve Dinner here. Really enjoyed the ambiance and decor. The fresh bread and olive oil/garlic/parmesan was enjoyed by all.Two of the diners had pasta dishes which were delicious. The half portion was perfect for a lighter eater. One diner had the duck which she stated was excellent. I had the lobster bisque which was delicious and the signature salad which was a little disappointing. The seafood on the salad seemed like it was possibly not fully defrosted? The double chocolate cake was delicious for dessert. The service was very attentive and overall would visit again if I returned to Austin.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Last minute decision to eat here since first choice across town had 45-minute wait. Bless their hearts they tried, but the Christmas buffet just wasn't worth $39 per person. Not many choices, almost no salad choices, frequently ran out of food when the place wasn't that crowded at 12:30. Overall, I thought I was eating a meal that had been catered for the office. Desserts were the best part overall. We did appreciate that they comped one meal I guess as a Christmas gift to us. Even paying for one less, I thought that I still paid too much for my family to eat there. I appreciate that they were open on Christmas but there's definite improvement needed in the food if they want to continue to charge $39 per person.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Kind of a southwest-Italian combo. Not like a true NE Italian restaurant. Very cool atmosphere (building from 1870's), but left me wanting more.