“Old school Italian”

Carmelo's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmelo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 3,700 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Red River
Transit: Armadillo Trolley.
Description: Since 1981 Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano has been one of the top Italian restaurants in Texas, with locations in Houston (near the Energy Corridor) and Austin (conveniently downtown). At both locations, we offer the extraordinary Italian food we are known for plus a wide selection of traditional meat, seafood, and pasta dishes, as well as creating modern versions with vegetarian and vegan, and gluten-free options. Carmelo's features a full bar that offers a selection of Italian beers and liquors, along with an extensive wine collection consistently recognized with the "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence." Carmelo's is perfect for your lunch business meeting, family dinner, a casual group of friends, or for private events and celebrations in one of several private dining rooms accommodating up to 140 guests.
Austin, Texas
“Old school Italian”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Austin has its share of old school Italian restaurants, but nothing really great. This fits in with that category. Not bad, just not spectacular. Austin's restaurant scene has moved beyond.

New Jersey
“My New Fav!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Date visited: 11/25/2012. We enjoyed this restaurant so much, we went back 2 days later for lunch and ordered extra to take home. The restaurant itself is set in an adorable historic building. We walked in at 5 pm and were seated immediately. I'm very familiar with Italian/Sicilian food and this is the first restaurant (outside of NY) that I have seen Arancini Riso (Rice balls) on the menu. Of course I ordered them as my appy. OMG! First of all, I was expecting 1 large ball, typical NY style. Instead I got 4 nice "meatball" sized balls. They have officially been deemed the best Arancini's I've ever had. Not only did I eat them all...myself..when we went back, I placed 2 orders to take home. They're sausage is also very good, another item we ordered to take home, as well as everything else we ordered. In a nutshell, there was nothing I can say that was not good from service to desert. They're prices are deserving for what the offer. I'm just hurt that we currently live 3 hours away. If you love real Italian/Sicilian food, you MUST have dinner here!

Visited November 2012
California
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The food - stunning. The service - excellent. A wonderful old school Italian joint that's a little off the beaten path. I would recommend this place for a nice date, or even a small group. Live music played, great wine list and the food wonderful. I enjoyed the Pollo Ricotta - which is definitely mouthwatering. My colleague had the Pesce Spada al Pomodoro - she ordered the small portion which is definitely HUGE. I would come back!

Visited November 2012
Knoxville, TN
“Wonderful Birthday dinner!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great food and service. The bananas foster made table side was amazing! Romantic place for couples. Nice, but not overly stuffy. Business casual and comfortable while the food was five star quality. Great wine list as well.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Volawyer
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
“Impeccable service!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Listen dear one, its a special evening, it took time to plan this dinner and you want to feel as though your time and effort isn't just wasted on a new fad restaurant....go make reservations at Carmelos! If you want brunch or dinner you cannot go wrong here! We like low key, great food and high level of service, (means that we like people who like people) when we go out to eat. We decided once again to spend our anniversary dinner here. Hey with five kids we want to be alone and enjoy our meal! I ordered Steak Diane with Fettucine Alfredo (I'm and Alfredo snob) and it was delicious. Loved the cooking by our waiter! Loved the personal attention - it is so worth our drive into downtown to be here. Oh and we happened to mention our anniversary (we really like low key), as we were leaving how much we love coming because the service is so good! They sweetly insisted that we come back in for champagne and dessert. It was like my family was insulted because I didn't let them throw me a party. We were so humbled by their caring attitude my husband said I needed to write a review. We love Carmelos because they love us as if we are a part of their family!