“Loved the pancakes and Queso!”

Kerbey Lane Cafe Central
Ranked #77 of 3,779 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Tucked away on a quiet side street, this is not a place that you would just happen across. Luckily, we had been told that Kerbey Lane was a great place for veggie food, and the recommendations were spot on. Once you find the place, the biggest hassle is parking. Street parking is very limited, and we were lucky to get one of the handful of spaces behind the cafe - these are accessed through a tight alley at the side of the building, and it was very tight squeezing in to the space.

Once inside, it was worth the effort. Our only complaint about the interior was the noisy party of girls from Houston, but luckily they left before our meal was finished. The decor is typical Austin-quirky, and has a nice relaxed vibe.

We started with the vegan queso. This was an excellent choice - very flavorful, and served with a bowl of chips and salsa. I had the Hippy Burger, which was nice and moist, but held together well during eating. Some home-made patties like this will dissolve as you eat them, leading to a messy meal, but this one stuck together nicely. It was paired with the country fries, which were nicely done. My wife had a breakfast special, which included a stack of pancakes. I'm normally not a big fan of pancakes, but these were exceptional - light and fluffy, with hints of ginger and cinnamon, served with a vegan spread. It was hard work, but I managed to finish them off when my wife called it quits.

Overall, this was a very cool place to eat, and will be somewhere that we visit again next time we are in town.

There are newer reviews for Kerbey Lane Cafe Central

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Fun, funky, and fresh, fresh ingredients! Kerbey Lane Cafe is just SO Austin, it's a must-go for residents and visitors alike. The restaurant is a renovated old house on Kerbey Lane - a side street off 38th street. The floors creak as you walk to your table, and the feel of the old house remains in the wood, the uneven window casings, and the plaster walls. The flavor of the restaurant is evident in the bright colors that paint these old walls, and the eclectic staff that serve at Kerbey Lane Cafe. The food is such an experience - the kitchen believes in getting the freshest ingredients and preparing some very ambitious menu items. The results are wonderful - the best pumpkin pancakes ever, lamb picadillo enchiladas, and the veggie chorizo sloppy Joel, to name a few. They've got the basics too - burgers, tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches - but all prepared better than most retaurants you'll find. It's casual at Kerbey Lane, and Yummy (note the capital Y). Love this place!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The original Kerbey Lane on Kerbey Lane continues to deliver outstanding food as they developed it over the years. The menu still has most of the items that I remember in the same atmosphere. Parking is still a problem, but it's worth the walk.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I go here for one thing...chips and queso! Good stuff and its open really late so thats a huge plus for night owls

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This locale was recommended to me by a former UT student who said they had the best queso in town. So my family visited ASAP. We are a queso loving family! Well, I wasn't quite prepared for the staff's appearance. Most were heavily tattooed and our waitress had golf ball size ear gauges in her ears. At first I thought they were earrings. And then when she came back to take our order, I realized she was stretching her ear lobes. Now, you might not have any issues with this, but for some reason, I become nauseated each time I see ear gauges or holes left behind from hence gauges. It is an uncontrollable reaction of mine. And if I hadn't already ordered, I would have left.
The queso is good and they even have a vegan queso which is the best I've ever had. The food was good as well and the service was timely. Be prepared to wait in line for breakfast on the weekends. (Yes- I have returned to give it another try.) and luckily didn't get the same waitress.
The atmosphere is okay. It's located in an old house, so it feels as if it need a good scrub to be truly clean.
So if you visit, be prepared for funky and unique people and atmosphere.
I wouldn't recommend taking your grandparents there. But your college cousin-sure!