“with reservations, my favorite Austin diner”
Review of Star Seeds Cafe

Star Seeds Cafe
Ranked #441 of 3,869 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: 24-Hour fun, funky ambiance, and great food are our specialties at Star Seeds Cafe! Come see for yourself why we're one of Austin's best hidden gems. Come by and join us whenever you're hungry - whether it's 2am after a long night dancing with friends or bright and early before work, we've got you covered. We're open all day, every day, specializing in breakfast at all hours of the day. In fact, legendary Austin late nights are what we live for here at Star Seeds! Order up some of our famous pancakes or a queso burger to soothe those midnight cravings! When you've got a long day ahead of you, go for a fresh mimosa and our Eye Opener - two biscuits piled high with scrambled eggs, sausage, and gravy. And don't forget about our extensive vegetarian-friendly menu featuring grilled vegetable sandwiches, Portobello mushroom quesadillas, and veggie tacos. Whatever you're in the mood for, you can trust our friendly staff to take great care of you! We love to have fun and when you're having fun with us is when we're at our best. Come hang out at Star Seeds Cafe and let us fix you up some good food and good times!
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Star Seeds isn't for everyone. There have been times that I've gone there and gotten dry, substandard burgers, and there have definitely been some service issues with some of the wait staff. I was always told before I became a frequent customer myself that Star Seeds was famous for having wait staff that were intentionally rude to you, and that they were trained that way for some reason. I've never seen that to be the case in my own personal experience, but I've definitely been there quite a few times when there was literally only one person working during a rush and they simple just didn't have the time to do anything more than run over, hastily take my order, and then come throw it down on the table when it was ready and pretty much leave me to fend for myself the rest of the time.

All that being said, out of all the amazing Austin diners, like Magnolia and Kerby Lane and the Omelettry and the Austin Diner and all those cool places, which all have better food and better service, Star Seeds is the place I found myself going most often. I think they actually have the best migas in town, or at least my favorite, which is saying something because Austin is a migas town. There burgers are great when they come out great, and not great when they don't, and they have other good stuff on the menu too, like biscuits and gravy and oatmeal and stuff like that. Their coffee is absolute amazing, so good that you'll want to buy some to take home, which they let you do.

I think the main reason I went there so often is because of the coffee, the migas, and the fact that they have two dollar mimosas (two dollar beers I think too) in addition to the typical eclectic Austin vibe and the emo/hipster waitstaff, usually young tragically fashionable people that look like they dropped out of nearby UT to become heroine addicts or actors or musicians or something. They often hook their personal ipods or whatever up to the sound system, or stream pandora or something like that, so the music is almost always totally righteous, although it can get very loud and very rowdy (and not cool) at busy times. This became my favorite place during weekdays when nobody else was there to come in and eat the migas and drink about three cups of coffee and about five mimosas before going in to work late. They mix the mimosas nice and strong, just like you'll need them for a hard day at the office, and I went there and did this so often that more than once I was eventually served a grand finale mimosa in a pint glass instead of the normal champagne flute, at no extra charge, because they could tell how much I like them.

That's my kind of diner.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I've always loved Star Seeds. I've been going there for 15 years. I kind of miss the booths with no cushions and the surly waiters, but even with the refurbished restaurant, the food is still great. I always have the breakfast tacos, which are phenomenal, but I've also tried and enjoyed friends' chicken fried steak and migas. Whatever you order, and whatever hour, you'll be glad you stopped by.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

My family and I went into this restaurant to try it out, as soon as we get in my kid asks, what is that smell. I look at my wife and we both start laughing. Apparently it was just me, we decided to leave without ordering. We refuse to eat at a place that has a bad smell in the air, but I guess all these other 5 star people are use to it. ROFL.

1  Thank DanW133
Reviewed February 23, 2012

tasty diner fare, good central location to meet someone, food is cheap!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Some of the nicest servers I have ever met. Excellent diner style food. Prices were excellent as well.

Been to Star Seeds Cafe? Share your experiences!