“Outstanding!”
Review of The Clay Pit

The Clay Pit
Reserve with OpenTable
The Clay Pit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 3,829 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: Capital Metro offers a stop right across the road in front of the restaurant.
Description: Clay Pit Contemporary Indian Cuisine is a nationally acclaimed, high energy restaurant located in the historical Bertrams building in beautiful downtown Austin. Clay Pit has been voted best Indian restaurant in Austin and is recognized for a warm and inviting ambience, a dedication to service and for exceeding expectations. At Clay Pit we offer fresh, innovative Indian cuisine at moderate prices, along with an extensive selection of mixed drinks, beers and a wine list recognized with the Wine Spectator Magazine Award of Excellence. Clay Pit offers the traditionally favorite Indian dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala and Saag Paneer, alongside unique selections like our Curried Mussels appetizer featuring fresh mussels simmered in a garlic & red wine curry sauce; signature dishes such as Khuroos-E-Tursh, a stuffed chicken breast in a casher-almond cream sauce and sumptuous desserts like Chai Spiced Creme Brulee and Mango Cheesecake, which has been featured in Bon Appetit.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

A very delicious dining experience!! The atmosphere was relaxing and quite attractive. Service was very good. Don't miss the naan bread...I sure won't when I go back!! I thought the prices were reasonable. My only problem was that I had walked there from Austin's Inn at Pearl Street. The walk there was pleasant after a day on a plane and cooped up in an office...but the amazing food forced me to find a cab on the way back!! Fortunately that wasn't difficult.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

As soon as you walk in the door you are greeted with amazing Indian food smells. We ordered the Indian spiced calamari which was delicious and plentiful (sure I know calamari isn't Indian- but I am a sucker for calamari!) We ordered a cucumber- tomato-onion spiced salad which was delicious, mixed meat kabobs, and a spicy chicken masala....AND we are so glad we ordered the garlic naan , and, (as a nod to TX/Indian influence,) the cream cheese/ jalapeno naan bread. Both were excellent! We also took advantage of half price bottle of wine night on Tues and got a nice red to compliment the meat and sauces. Service was good.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked The Clay Pit for my association's annual meeting (50+ attendees). The restaurant set up a very nice room upstairs, with our own buffet line, for a very reasonable price. The food was good, and it worked out very well for our members with restrictive diets (gluten-free, vegetarian).

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I ate twice (one lunch and one dinner) on my recent trip to Austin Texas. The place is in downtown area. When I went for lunch, at first I was not too impressed with the spread in the buffet. Also,the long line for the buffet kind of turned me off as well! So I ordered out of the menu. Being a vegetarian, I ordered Samosa Chaat and peshawari Naan. Both were awesome!
For dinner I had the Goanese style curry with Naan and rice. That was also very flavorful and I enjoyed it very much.
The ambiance inside is quite retro and cool to hang out. The service was great. I will definitely visit this place when I'm in Austin area the next time again.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This exceptionally fine eatery was only a block away from our overnight accommodations, an easy walk for all of us: my mother, wife, daughter+her boyfriend, son+his fiancee, and myself. Reservations were required; we waited very little to be seated, and then, once seated, we requested another table, which was in another room and superior. All of us enjoy Indian food and found this to be exceptionally tasty; even the constantly refilled water was delicious! I have to admit that despite it's obvious elite ranking, I tipped the plate up to lick it clean--I'm such a dog!(But a good dog, eh!) A few of us had wine, and one glass, unfortunately, was upended but the wait staff quickly cleaned it up. All of us luxuriated in the pleasing atmosphere and were almost hesitant to leave, but, unless we ordered more, we really needed to get underway as other customers who might not have made reservations were hungrily waiting. I highly recommend this fine establishment; casual clean apparel is OK. Even licking the plate, if discrete, was OK!