“A pit of good eats!”
Review of The Clay Pit

The Clay Pit
Reserve with OpenTable
The Clay Pit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 3,972 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: Capital Metro offers a stop right across the road in front of the restaurant.
Description: The Clay Pit serves contemporary and traditional Indian cuisine in a high-energy, sophisticated setting that encourages people from all walks of life to discover a love for Indian cuisine. Our nationally-acclaimed cuisine wins over newcomers and those who’ve grown up on Indian food alike with a menu of authentic and gourmet, yet accessible dishes. Find us in the heart of Downtown Austin, in a historic stone building that lends an old-world charm to our upscale, modern atmosphere. Explore our award-winning wine list and be sure to ask your waiter about our building’s haunted history.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This exceptionally fine eatery was only a block away from our overnight accommodations, an easy walk for all of us: my mother, wife, daughter+her boyfriend, son+his fiancee, and myself. Reservations were required; we waited very little to be seated, and then, once seated, we requested another table, which was in another room and superior. All of us enjoy Indian food and found this to be exceptionally tasty; even the constantly refilled water was delicious! I have to admit that despite it's obvious elite ranking, I tipped the plate up to lick it clean--I'm such a dog!(But a good dog, eh!) A few of us had wine, and one glass, unfortunately, was upended but the wait staff quickly cleaned it up. All of us luxuriated in the pleasing atmosphere and were almost hesitant to leave, but, unless we ordered more, we really needed to get underway as other customers who might not have made reservations were hungrily waiting. I highly recommend this fine establishment; casual clean apparel is OK. Even licking the plate, if discrete, was OK!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Wonderful ambiance...white brick, warm tones, cloth napkins. The building itself has a long and interesting history...just ask the wait staff. The food is aromatic, very flavorful, and simply delicious! Perfect for the vegetarian or carnivore....both will enjoy this Indian Delight!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The other evening my husband and I went to the Clay Pit in Austin to celebrate my having won The Road Warrior of the Year Award from USA TODAY. This time we had appetizers of calamari and mussels. My calamari was excellent and the dipping sauce that come with it, divine. His mussels were an Indian take on the white wine and garlic ones that we have had elsewhere. My husband, Carl, and I both loved them. They had just enough spice to be interesting and not over-powering. Plus, dipping the garlic naan into the extra sauce is a taste-sensation all its own. I never enjoyed Indian food, until I was dragged kicking and screaming to the Clay Pit. Now, it's my favorite restaurant in Austin. I especially like the fact that you can get food as spicy (or non-spicy) as you wish. I have never found another Indian restaurant on the planet offering truly mild Indian food. Again, kudos to Clay Pit and its owners!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were a little bummed when we found out it was buffet on the Sunday we visited for lunch. But I figured it was a way to try a few things, since I have never had Indian food before. It was pretty good I must say. My first trip to the buffet I put a little of everything on my plate. It was also a reasonable price at $15 a person. Our waiter, Patrick was helpful, and he provided good service for us. When we go back to Austin, I want to try The Clay Pit for dinner. Parking is spotty, as we are from out of town and didn't know the "rules", but we managed to find a spot on the street for free on Sunday ONLY.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I wasn't really a fan of Indian food, but my SO was. So, we decided to give the place a try. It was amazing to say the least. The waiters were friendly and the food was excellent, what more could you want from a restaurant? Be sure to check the operating hours though. They close between lunch and dinner.

Been to The Clay Pit? Share your experiences!