“Delicious Brunch and Mimosas”

Iron Cactus Mexican Grill & Margarita Bar
Ranked #56 of 3,738 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Neighborhood: Downtown
Tucson, Arizona
“Delicious Brunch and Mimosas”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I enjoyed their brunch very much. After walking upstairs and through the split-level building, I found the largest brunch spread I've seen in years. My absolute favorite part were the pork tamales - small, but packed with flavor. The service was spotty. I started at one table, that would get ignored for periods of time. Then, I moved to another table (a large group of us were here) whose waitress couldn't have been better. Overall, it was a pleasant way to spend the day. I ended up staying after most of my group had left, chatting with a friend, and was given no stares whatsoever, as one would expect from other establishments.

Tomball, Texas
“Love this place!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Fish tacos were excellent, salsa was fresh and just spicy enough to bite back a little, drink specials good and the margaritas strong. Indoor and outdoor seating, and a fun place to start the nite.

I suggest sitting outdoors after the sun sets, the lighting and roof top view add to the experience.
Definitely recommend!

• Visited March 2013
Columbus, OH
“Excellent Food and a great time”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weekend in Austin for a company celebration. As part of the trip the company reserved the entire Iron Cactus Grill for a company party. The food that was served was excellent. The atmosphere was fun, it was quieter down on the first floor, noisy on the second floor, and an all out party on the third floor where the band was playing. There was something for everyone.

The Iron Cactus was also very clean, which can't be said for every bar and grill on 6th avenue.

Seattle
“Great Patio for a Sunny Day!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for a couple of margaritas and ceviche. Everything was good and service was great! Great for relaxing on the patio in the sunshine!

Redondo Beach, California
“Good Food . . . Service Not so Much”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

First, can we talk, Austin? My GPS says this restaurant is only 5 miles away from my hotel, but to get there . . . it takes what? 25 minutes? After a truly excruciating experience, we finally managed to arrive here. Well, actually, we were trying to go to the neighbor restaurant (which shall remain nameless) only to find a messed up valet parking scheme and altogether too many people arriving to think we'd ever get a table.

Thinking we'd have to end up at the Applebee's near our hotel after another excruciating trip back, we were doing the happy dance to find this restaurant right next door and parking was a breeze. What a nice surprise.

I had a decent, if overpriced, margarita and my husband had a margarita "martini-style" which meant something but not something that our waiter was able to adequately explain. Basically it was slightly larger than a regular margarita and had some olives in it. For which they charged an extra $4. Okay. Glad I didn't swallow that one.

The chips and two salsas arrived and this is where things started to get good - the one warmed-up salsa was really exceptional in its blend of flavors; the cold one had a real bite to it. We alternated between the two. We asked for another basket of chips and some extra salsa but never got either.

Another waiter served us our food - I ordered a dish that basically was a chicken tamale (well, chicken with tamale stuffed inside it) which had broccoli and good Spanish rice on the side. My husband had fish tacos which were grilled, not fried. Both dishes were quite good.

However, being abandoned by our waiter was not so good - not only did we not get the extra chips and salsa, he never even offered us dessert, then mixed up our check with another one as we sat waiting to get the check and get paid.

I hate bad service and I generally am not very sympathetic unless I can see that the wait staff is overloaded or there's another obvious problem. I actually did try and figure if there was a reason for our abandonment and frankly couldn't see anything - there were two waiters in our area and not that many tables, so I'm being very generous in giving it a four rating instead of something lesser. That's because the salsa was great and the food was very good. Except for the drink prices, the food was reasonable.

I'd go to another Iron Cactus if I'm back in the area, but would hope to have a more attentive waiter next time.