“Nice Surprise!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill takes you back to a simpler time. Comfortable and familiar, relaxed and easygoing, Moonshine greets guests like family. Serving up great cooking with an innovative take on classic American comfort food, Moonshine's menu satisfies even the big city tastes.
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Surprise!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We randomly selected this restaurant based on their availability and location without knowing anything other than they served comfort food.
It was a really nice surprise!

We went on a Monday night, and the wait was about 15 minutes (dread to think what it's like on the weekend). We had a cocktail at the bar, it was average but priced quite high.

We sat in the back patio at a small table, but luckily it wasn't too warm outside and the fans were blowing. The complimentary table snack is popcorn, which was strange, but nice!

I ordered the Green Chile Mac n Cheese, and the waitress suggested I split it (my sister was ordering the same), and I'm so glad I did because the portions were HUGE! The menu says For-Sharing on the desserts, and they definitely must be shared!

Service was nice, but it seemed like they had too few servers on the back patio, so felt quite bad for ours as she seemed rushed!

Would love to visit again, and will definitely book ahead in the future!

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Texas
“Unexpected Treat”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were in Austin on the 4th and it was raining - we were looking for something within walking distance for dinner - the bar tender at the hotel recommended Moonshine - what a great choice.

We had a short wait - but the drinks from the bar and the complimentary popcorn make it well worth it.

We started with the roasted garlic bulbs and they were fantastic - perfect for the table to share.

For our main course we shared the baby back ribs and the green chili macaroni - i'm not sure what was better - but I will tell you I would go back for more. With the ribs we also got the baked macaroni side and it was as good as the main dish - they place knows how to put together macaroni and cheese.

It was a birthday for one of the people at the table and the waiter brought us a complimentary dessert - the fudge stout brownie - I can even describe in words how delicious this was, My only regret is that we found this restaurant on our last night and only ate there one time - Well worth the trip.

• Visited July 2014
“1.5 hour Wait ”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

My mistake, came for the first time on a Saturday and hungry! An hour wait...well okay, got a sangria and bacon dip. Tasty. 1.5 before table open. Ordered immediately and waited another half hour for a waffle and chicken strips. They were good, but two hpur good?

“Great outdoor seating”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Because it was walking distance from the Convention Center, I went to this restaurant twice during our short stay in Austin and had two different experiences, both good. The first time was during a packed lunch. They had great food and the jalapeno cornbread was fantastic. The wait staff was great. The second time we went for a happy hour and sat in a different outdoor area. They seem to have several outdoor patios that were very nice and cool. They did not want us combining tables last minute but after awhile we saw why. The food was again very good and the prices were what we expected for the place. I recommend going at least once while you are downtown.

• Visited June 2014
Gainesville, Florida
“I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Went to Moonshine on my trip to Austin last year. Took my son and some friends who were in town for a convention. We all loved it!!! Started with some great margarita's, no shortage of these in Austin! Had a wonderful steak with some of the best veggies ever!! First of all, I only eat steak when I know it's going to be good and this did not disappoint !!! But...what did they do to the veggies that made me clean my plate??? Fun place, great staff, great food!

• Visited August 2013