“Great place in downtown Austin!”

Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill
Ranked #16 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill takes you back to a simpler time. Comfortable and familiar, relaxed and easygoing, Moonshine greets guests like family. Serving up great cooking with an innovative take on classic American comfort food, Moonshine's menu satisfies even the big city tastes.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a late lunch, great food and fabulous cocktails! With all the choices in Austin, you won't go wrong with Moonshine and don't forget the Moonshine shot!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Moonshine, located right across the street from the Austin Convention Center, offers an excellent nearby alternative to 6th Street eateries.

The menu is "comfort food with a twist," and it's a delicious twist. The macaroni, as a main or side, and the green chili grits are to die for!

The place looks small from the outside, but it's a warren of rooms and patios and can seat a lot of patrons.

That said, it's usually crowded, so be prepared to wait unless you go early. I like the downstairs bar and small patio (go left from the hostess desk) to grab a drink and pass the time.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I stopped in rather late on a Saturday night when Texas had a game in town. We were amazed by the loudness of the crowd -- great background music -- when you could hear it. We were staying at the nearby Hilton and discovered we had no way of accessing room service and decided to try Moonshine. Had a slight wait but it was worth it. Enjoyed the complimentary popcorn and our waiter was very attentive. I had the Waldorf salad with chicken and it was very good - large. My wife had the tortilla soup and enjoyed the avocado salsa. The corn muffiins offered were also very good. She tried the wine special (chardonnay) and had 2 glasses it was so good. We closed with the skillet apple pie and could not finish it between the two of us. If we visit Austin again -- we would definitely stop in again.

Here's the website: http://www.moonshinegrill.com/menus.php

Reviewed October 25, 2012

While walking around Austin, I found Moonshine and popped in for lunch. I was there a little later in the afternoon. The popcorn appetizer was delightful. I had chicken tortilla soup to start. It was delicious and filling - fairly standard, but good. For my main, I had the Backyard Chicken Sandwich. It was excellent. The poblanos really made the sandwich.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was good - open and well-lit for lunch. My only complaint had little to do with the restaurant itself - I was seated next to a poorly behaved child who knocked over not one but TWO large glasses of water, which sloshed onto his father and me. Whew. Thank goodness I'd had a nice lunch prior to the unintentional shower I got to take!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great ambience and stellar food. I would have liked to try the patio, but it was closed for an event that night. We went early on the advice of the doorman from the night before when we found out that reservations were already booked for the next night. We had a group of seven. The indoor seating was small and almost cramped, but not uncomfortable. The waiter recommended the chicken fried steak and he was spot on. It was beyond excellent. Seasonal vegetables and roasted sweet potatoes (delectible) filled out the plate. Highly recommended.