“Great food, cozy atmosphere.”
Review of Eastside Cafe

Eastside Cafe
Ranked #122 of 3,779 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: University of Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This is normally not the type of restaurant I would dine at but I figured I would take a chance and I am glad that I did. The place is an old house so it is a small restaurant but very cozy and a good place to take a date. Because of the small size it isn't too loud where you would have to shout to carry on a conversation. The menu is small but filled with great choices. I had the pecan and panko coated chicken with jalapeno cream sauce and a side of garlic mashed potatoes. The chicken was cooked perfectly and flavored just right. It wasn't swimming in gravy and the coating wasn't too thick. The mashed potatoes had a great texture, not runny but not too chunky either and just the right amount of garlic. The wait staff was wonderful and were right there if you needed something. My only complaint was that the parking could be tight as they share lots with another business but overall I would go here again. Perfect spot for Valentine's day.

1  Thank EpicGuy12
There are newer reviews for Eastside Cafe

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Took a cab as it is 2-3 miles from our hotel downtown, but well worth it. Converted house and garden house in back make up this restaurant. Traditional Texas favorites and others. I enjoyed pork tenderloin-it certainly was tender! Wonderful side dishes and wine. Great service! Highly recommend if you are in Austin!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you are looking for a place to go a little off the beaten path, Eastside Cafe is a good alternative. It's housed in a refurbished older home on the east side of I35. Our party shared chips and salsa (which was great) and the Potstickers (not my favorite). We also shared their green salad which was delicious and BIG. I had the Panko and Pecan Encrusted Chicken Breast. It had a jalapeno gravy that was fabulous. It was cook just right, juicy and not dry. One in our party had the Grilled Meatloaf and if I go again, this is what I will order. It was juicy and delicious as well. Other's had the pork tenderloin-fabulous, Salmon, and goat cheese enchiladas (my least favorite...goat cheese just has a weird smell, thus a weird taste to me, personal preference). Their "house" champagne was very good, light and not too dry or sweet. Our birthday girl was honored with a dessert of her choice...and she selected a brownie which was shared and very good. So we had a little bit of everything. Prices were moderate for food and drinks, they aren't going to break the bank. They had other options, like sandwiches, which were even more reasonable. I would return to eat here and would recommend it to others. Like most places in Austin, it's dress up or down. Sound was not a problem even though it's a relatively small place.

1  Thank rtmidland
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This cafe was recommended to me by my daughter and later a friend suggested we meet there for lunch, so now I was really curious. We got lucky in that there was a cancelation, and were seated after a short wait. It is popular, so I would recommend making reservations for your visit. We were a party of three each ordering different entrees and all of us had a delicious lunch. I also recommend the desserts!

1  Thank Stella M
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visit Austin every year, and we go to this place for dinner. Amazing food and great service. Corn bread and butler is always a warm start. All the main dishes are always tasty.

1  Thank Traveler K