“Best fresh, clean tasting food in town”
Review of Eastside Cafe

Eastside Cafe
Ranked #61 of 3,971 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: University of Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The food here is so amazingly fresh. The wait can be long but there is a "gift shop" next door with beer and wine to occupy your time.

Try the meatloaf, it's great. All of the sides are good!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I found this place while trying to get some ideas for our garden on YouTube. The menu looked good so my wife and I decided to head north from San Antonio and check it out. It's located fairly close to i35 in an old house and we knew it must be good because the place was packed with diners. We parked in the back and wandered through the garden looking at the variety of vegetables. There was a 35 minute wait but the hostess invited us to stroll around next door and she would find us when our table was ready. We decided to sit on the covered front porch and enjoy a rare summer rain. Inside there is plenty of room and it didn't feel crowded at all. The menu looks great and I decided on the Salmon shrimp cake topped with two poached eggs and covered with a chipotle hollandaise sauce. It was delicious, everything was cooked just right. Dessert was just as good with the chocolate silk cake. The Eastside cafe was definitely worth the trip. Next time we go back we'll make reservations but we will be back. If you find yourself in the Austin area do yourself a favor and check this place out, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Lovely atmosphere, and very friendly staff too. The food was delicious! I had the salmon ravioli which was very tasty and the portion size was perfect too - it was generous without being too much. if I'm ever back in Austin I would return here without a doubt.

Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

The food was delicious and freshly prepared. The prices were a bit high but the menu is sure to satisfy any appetite. I'm sure you'll enjoy the food and the setting.

1  Thank Omar R
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I had a good time at this place. The restaurant itself is in an old home, and the atmosphere was nice. We were seated in the "Garden Room" for what it's worth. We both ordered shrimp dishes, and the shrimp was high quality and fresh tasting. Our dinner salads were absolutely perfectly done. The lettuce tasted like it had been picked that day, and maybe it had, since the garden out back is extensive and beautiful. My husband said it was the best salad he'd ever had. The dressings were also great. I ordered the dijon vinagrette and it was just the right amount of tangy and sweet. He ordered ranch, and it was definitely homemade. YUM! Our other sides were broccoli, which was beautiful and fresh, and a white bean italian soup that was also very tasty. We only ordered one drink other than water, something called a lemosa, which was very good, albeit small. We were so stuffed after our entrees that we decided against dessert. Service was very good, although we weren't quite sure who our server was, since we had 3 different ladies who all seemed to be taking care of us. My one complaint about the service is that one of those ladies reeked of cigarettes, which is just a pet peeve for me. Cons: We went thinking this was going to be a fancy date, and got dressed up and then felt really foolish when people were there literally in t-shirts and shorts. Not everyone. But more than one table was dressed extremely casual. I realize it is Austin and that is part of the culture...but I feel like I should warn people that you may feel out of place if you are all decked out at this place. That said, we still felt like the food was excellent, and it would be a good place for a date, just maybe not for an anniversary where you wanted to get dressed to the nines. The tables are quite close together, and we could hear every single word said coming from the table right behind us. So, it's not an entirely intimate atmosphere. Food is amazing though. Definitely worth a trip, but make reservations.