“Cajun in Texas”

Ranked #49 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2014

It is hard to find authentic cajun/Louisiana style food in central Texas. There is a lot of fresh fish and much of it local from the gulf. The fried oysters were perfect. The dirty rice is authentic. The portions are very big. The restaurant is VERY busy; get reservations. (Our call ahead was lost.) We had to park a long way away from the restaurant.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

The service was great. Food was delicious. The restaurant was packed for Mardi Gras but we were able to get in quickly and food was delivered fast

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Pappadeaux's is a little pricy, but the food is excellent. My husband was shocked that we (my son & I) did not try the Lobster Bisque (oh, darn...now we have to go back). Steak & potatoes, Seafood Platter, and Seafood Kabob were ordered by our little threesome. Perfect all the way around. If you have children, fear not....you will be in good company. They must have a fabulous children's menu as they were well represented!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is part of the large Pappas restaurant chain. The Pappas family has been in the restaurant business for many decades and is generally is a first class operation. Unfortunately this location has gone downhill in quality. My last two meals were three star and two star respectively. Add in the fact that Austin is booming, and this location at/near the intersection of two major highways, and close to downtown, and you get a super crowded, incredibly noisy ambience most of the time. My last try here was for fried oysters, which looked perfect, but had a mushy interior as if they were defrosted and fried. My companions fish, the same. Not very good fries and a $60 tab makes me an ex Pappadeaux diner. There are many better options in Austin for seafood.

1  Thank falconfling1
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I lived on the road for years, and ate at Pappadeaux regularly. I would have given them a 5 star rating in the past, but their popularity has apparently made them complacent. Known for large portions, and moderate prices, Pappadeaux has migrated to high prices for a whole lot of nothing. My wife and my mother in law went to the Austin location last Friday, and our experience could not have been worse.

Our first mistake, going here on a Friday night. The place was chaos, and the wait an hour and fifteen minutes after we arrived (we ahead called 30 minutes ahead to be placed on the wait list). Our second mistake, going on the Friday night before Fat Tuesday. The crowd was beyond boisterous.

But the issues did not end there. My wife ordered mahi, she got a sauteed catfish. Catfish is great fried, it is terrible sauteed. I ordered fried crawfish, something I had always ordered when traveling. Finding the crawfish from among all the breading was a real challenge. My mothretr in law ordered fried catfish, and she was moderately happy.

But that's not all, as they say. I ordered a Jameson's and water when first sitting, and after a waiter delivered the water and said my drink was right behind, I should have had a stop watch.. Easily twenty minutes later, I tracked down our wandering waitress, who said she would take care of it immediately. It actually took about five more minutes before it arrived. Same thing happened when she asked if I wanted a refill. Fifteen minutes, and I had to ask her again where my drink was. The drink arrived about two minutes later, but it was not a Jameson's and water, rather a double rye whiskey. This took another five minutes to get worked out.

Throughout this whole hour and a half of erratic service, we had to contend with our neighbors, a group of four overly loud, living-large cackling women. The whole area gave them glances to use their inside voices, but they were incapable of figuring out the issue to the others around them. And the staff did nothing to corral them.

To sum it all up, this was a $115.00 dinner that didn't measure in any way up to Pappadeaux past reputation and delivery of service. We will not be returning, and would advise others the same.