“Don't come early you will wait”

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen
Ranked #50 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dumas, Texas
“Don't come early you will wait”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My party of four decided to come at 11:30 today Sunday to beat the rush. We arrived as planned I checked in and was asked my name a bit unusual I thought as no more than 30-35 people were dining with 80% of tables empty. Then I found out.it will be a 10 to 15 minute wait as she handed me the buzzer. Most unusual as not only me but the next 30+ people that arrived behind me packing front lobby and hanging outside in cold rain. I have been to dives and 5 star restaurants in my 50 years of traveling and have never seen this happen. Neither had many of the people who checked in after me. Guess I learned a new lesson and I have dined here many times if you come early and there are lots of empty tables you will wait. Must be a new policy because no one could tell us why we were waiting.???
Next we got after 18 minutes of staring at blank tables got seated and ordered our meal. Food was delicious as always but two ordered baked potatoes which finally made their appearances as they were completing their meals.
Paid extra for these nothing said about hey on the house sorry for the delay. They were for the most part left as arrived. To get refills had to flag down waiter twice decided maybe we should next time get the Bubba Gump Run or Stop sign.
Seems like they need to look at some of the front staff that is the first impression made and today it wasn't worthy of but *. Food *****.
Will be back but when crowded seems like I can get seated faster now!!!!

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Humble, Texas
“Omg. So good”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I could make this a habit. Food is so good. Quite loud tonite for a Mardi Gras celebration, but so much fun. Loved it! I just have to have the oysters on the half shell!!!

Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,722 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Dining Experience”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have always enjoyed dining at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen in Austin, and this last visit was no exception. As usual, the Greek Salad was outstanding and the Fried Shrimp was very good. This restaurant has a full park and an excellent selection of beer. I finished off my meal with a cup of coffee and a slice of the famous Key Lime Pie. The service was friendly and attentive. And light jazz was playing on the restaurant's sound system, which added to the pleasant dining experience.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank CJTravelerTexas
Austin, Texas
“what happened that night? But they made it up!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We love Pappadeaux! We have always loved them from over 20 yrs ago! And we try to go at least once a year at least. We were so excited to go back this time around as well. ITs always busy at this location so we went early like around 5:30pm on a Sunday and still waited for near an hour but that's ok. They are so efficient though and got us seated. Its packed in there but we got our hot bread and it was heavenly. Our server was attentive and so nice. We always get the oysters half shell for appetizer and it was so fresh and delicious once again. This time instead of sharing or thinking we got the Fried Seafood platter-both of us. When it came out it seemed smaller than we remembered but still a lot of food. Then the oddest thing happened. Our fries were not hot! THey always have hot, yummy, crispy outside, tender inside fries! Always! I still ate mine but my husband's fries were stale :/ Our fried fish was piping hot though but the rest of the fried food on my plate was ok. But sadly my husband's stuffed shrimp ball was crispy on the outside then cold on the inside-eek! That's rare. But still we ate but we can't stomach stale fries so we asked for fresh fries. That's when the manager brought them out and it was better-not as I remembered but still good. He then asked us how other things were and I just had to be honest bc we just love this place. He tried to give us free dessert or another platter but we were stuffed-I did eat most of my seafood and felt bad for him asking. But we took the dessert grudgingly. But then he came back and notice that yeah we were pretty stuffed so he offered to comp our platters which is the nicest thing he couldnt' have done. We were delighted bc one platter is over $20. So they did make up for all of it and the oysters were delish. SO definitely will go back but yeah kinda off that night-never had blah and cold and lukewarm fried food ever before there :/

• Visited February 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“pretty good food”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The menu is extensive. The portions are always large. The food is tasty. I believe the San Antonio Pappadeaux's food tastes more flavorful, however, I would think they use standardized recipes. Service is excellent. I love the bread. I'd probably not go to this location again.

Visited January 2014

Been to Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen? Share your experiences!