“Ask for a doggie bag with your order”
Review of Ranch 616

Ranch 616
Reserve with OpenTable
Ranch 616 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 3,779 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 7th
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very good rustic Texas food, but they serve it with a front-end loader. The appetizers are huge, more than enough for a dinner for a big eater and very well priced. We shared fried oysters and grilled frog legs. Both were excellent, I highly recommend them. I had never had frog legs grilled before and they were better than any I have ever had (except for some I gigged myself 50 years ago). The quail served two ways was very good but the Boursin cheese mashers didn't really go with the quail.

One gripe: the daily specials do not have prices, so ask, they can get pricy.

There are newer reviews for Ranch 616

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Ranch 616 for dinner last Saturday as part of my friend's bachelorette party. They seated us outside on the patio near the fire pit, which was fun and it was a gorgeous night. The menu options are a mix of Texas/Southern inspired dishes, along with some fresh seafood options. To give us a real taste of Austin, the bar tender treated us all to Fire in the Hole shots, which involved a jalepeno pepper, vodka, coronita and Old Bay. Surprisingly, it was great. The bar tender also provided generous pours for all the drinks we ordered, including our house margaritas and Ranch water, one of their speciality drinks. We all ordered a variety of things from the menu including the fish tacos, shrimp tacos, grilled chicken and the ribeye and all were delicious.

The only thing I thought was a little out of place on the patio were the flat screen TVs. The atmosphere is so nice without them, and by having them on, it gave the place more of a sports bar feel and took away from the intimate outdoor environment.

There were 15 people in our group and they accomodated us without any problems - would highly recommnd!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Took my son here for his 19th birthday. Was looking for a fun local place that would be good for a foodie.

We both ordered the Divorced Quail dish which was quite tasty. There was a lot going on with the dish and made for kind of a messy presentation. I like the fact of having a sauce for each type of quail, but there was a lot of both sauces, and mixed with the mashed potatoes made it king of a soupy mess with two quail sitting on top.

I agree with the other regarding the specials. My partner ordered the mixed seafood dish and I expected it to be $28-$30. I wasn't far off, as it ended being $35.

If you are looking for a cool downtown restaurant, you should expect to spend a little money. This is a good place to check out.

With the exception of the dish being over sauced, it really tasted good and we enjoyed ourselves. The staff was also nice.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Loved everything about this restaurant. Very eclectic decor, great service and excellent food although not a bargain (without being outlandish).

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went to Ranch 616 with a bunch of local friends. During SXS, so a very festive and busy atmosphere. I enjoyed the energy. Might be a bit loud on weekends.

We all started off with "Fire in the Hole!" shots. The Official shot of Austin 2009 starts with a freshly-cored jalapeño filled with Tito’s Vodka, Paula’s Orange and fresh lime juice with a Lone Star or Coronita chaser. These were very good. I think we did several.

We also all had several cups of "The Ranch Water". Hornitos Reposado, Citronge and lime juice on the rocks served with a Topo Chico mineral water. I drank a bunch of these. Made things interesting.

For an App we all shared the Camarones Rellenos with are Apple Wood Smoked Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, stuffed with Cilantro and Serrano Jack Cheese. These were very tasty. I could have eaten an entire plate of these. Everyone loved them. Juicy, tender, and bacon. Who doesn't love bacon?

Some people got the 1/4 Wedge of Iceberg served with Ranch Dressing, Bleu Cheese Crumbles, Cherry Tomatoes, Shredded Carrots, Candied Diced Red Onion, and a Parmesan Grit Cake. I tried some of it and it was real good because I love blue cheese.

For my entree I got the Chicken Fried "Petite Beef Shoulder" Tenderloin. These are Petite Beef Shoulder Tenderloin Medallions that are Buttermilk battered & chicken fried, served over Bacon & Ranch Cheese Mashers, with Three Garlic Seared Tiger Shrimp, sautéed French Green Beans & Tomatillo Sauce. Everything about this dish sounds awesome. The beef was very tender, lots of flavor. Bacon mashed potatoes- yum. A bunch of other people got this and loved it too.

We also ordered 616 Tobacco Onion Rings and 616 Parmesan Truffle Fries. I devoured them. Truffle fries rule.

Overall, we all had a fantastic time. Great service. Good place to go with friends and have fun. Get some shots and ranch water and then see where the night takes you.