“Chicken Fried Ahi Tuna - Who Knew?”
Review of ALC Steaks

ALC Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
ALC Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #175 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 12th Street
Description: Enjoy a delicious steak and a taste of Austin. You haven’t experienced the best of Austin until you've been to ALC Steaks. The capitol city's only independent, family-owned steakhouse serves sizzling, hand-cut, aged beef the way Austinites have loved it for over 19 years. From our rich, antique wooden bar to our relaxing, unpretentious dining room, everything about us says, "welcome." Our exceptional service and genuine hospitality are as inviting as the many signature items on our menu. Tonight's the perfect evening to discover something else great about Austin.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I really wanted the chicken fried steak, but I am seriously trying to lose weight. ALC was offering chicken fried ahi tuna as a special and the waiter said it was great. Believe it or not, it was - the breading on the fish and the sauce managed to satisfy my craving for a chicken fried steak without destroying my diet. The Pinot Noir suggested by the waiter perfectly complemented the dish.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were in Austin, Texas, to attend the Winter National Diving Championships and were in the mood for a Steak. We stumbled into the Texas Land & Cattle Company because it had easy access from I-35 and that was a great piece of luck. Several of us ordered the Smoked Sirloin Steak because it sounded different. Absolute great choice! The hint of smoke with cracked pepper and salt (my choice) made this tender steak an outstanding selection. Next time I am in Austin, Texas, I will go back and order this smoked sirloin steak again.

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We couldn't leave Texas without having a steak. Traveling on aBudget can be a problem sometimes when you have to cut back or cut out certain things you want to do. Splurged on dinner here and I have zero regrets. Fantastic meal. Excellent service. Thank you!

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We have enjoyed the great food, services, and value of ALC for years. However, after a recent visit, we decided its time to look for a new place to enjoy a good steak. The menu prices have gone up (which is ok), but one would expect the portions to stay the same. Small salads, no more carrots/spinach and potato with your meal. The service was not attentive as it used to be.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I always try to get by Austin Land & Cattle when in Austin, and a recent dining experience reinforced my long-time high regard for this steakhouse.

This was a hugely busy weekend for Austin -- both UT football and Formula 1 in town -- and I made our reservation weeks before. Unfortunately, there was some mix-up, as when we arrived they expected a smaller party one hour previously. Fortunately, they were able to shuffle some tables around, and we got in without a delay. Considering the crowd, that was a very impressive move on their part.

Cocktails were ample and the beers reasonably priced, and we found the wine list, from which we ordered frequently, a bit lacking in higher quality wines, but all-in-all very reasonably priced.

Years ago, a bartender recommended Austin Land & Cattle as having the best steaks in central Austin, and I’ve never been disappointed. All of us in our party had steaks -- filets and strips -- and all were of the highest quality and cooked exactly as ordered.

Austin Land & Cattle is just a fine old landmark steakhouse. The waiters were excellent, and were always “around” without being overbearing.

It was a great place to meet old friends whom we hadn’t seen in years. We arrived at 7:00 pm, and closed the restaurant down. I hope the multiple bottles of wine and the size of the tip made the evening as worthwhile for management as it was enjoyable for our party.

Been to ALC Steaks? Share your experiences!