“Still the best steakhouse in Austin”
Review of ALC Steaks

ALC Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
ALC Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 3,828 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 12th Street
Description: Enjoy a delicious steak and a taste of Austin. You haven’t experienced the best of Austin until you've been to ALC Steaks. The capitol city's only independent, family-owned steakhouse serves sizzling, hand-cut, aged beef the way Austinites have loved it for over 19 years. From our rich, antique wooden bar to our relaxing, unpretentious dining room, everything about us says, "welcome." Our exceptional service and genuine hospitality are as inviting as the many signature items on our menu. Tonight's the perfect evening to discover something else great about Austin.
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I always try to get by Austin Land & Cattle when in Austin, and a recent dining experience reinforced my long-time high regard for this steakhouse.

This was a hugely busy weekend for Austin -- both UT football and Formula 1 in town -- and I made our reservation weeks before. Unfortunately, there was some mix-up, as when we arrived they expected a smaller party one hour previously. Fortunately, they were able to shuffle some tables around, and we got in without a delay. Considering the crowd, that was a very impressive move on their part.

Cocktails were ample and the beers reasonably priced, and we found the wine list, from which we ordered frequently, a bit lacking in higher quality wines, but all-in-all very reasonably priced.

Years ago, a bartender recommended Austin Land & Cattle as having the best steaks in central Austin, and I’ve never been disappointed. All of us in our party had steaks -- filets and strips -- and all were of the highest quality and cooked exactly as ordered.

Austin Land & Cattle is just a fine old landmark steakhouse. The waiters were excellent, and were always “around” without being overbearing.

It was a great place to meet old friends whom we hadn’t seen in years. We arrived at 7:00 pm, and closed the restaurant down. I hope the multiple bottles of wine and the size of the tip made the evening as worthwhile for management as it was enjoyable for our party.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had a short family vacation in Austin. I had dinner with my wife at AL&C. We felt the ambience was elegant and welcoming. Our waiter was very polite and nice. We truly enjoyed our meals. Steaks had the right temperature and the seasoning was a little spicy and delicious.
We also had a nice bottle of Malbec which was the perfect pairing.
Will go back for sure.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Superb food to be had in a great atmosphere, the service was excellent and a minor issue with the food was quickly rectified. Would recommend.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

A group of five of us were looking for a nice steakhouse to eat at while in Austin at a training. One of the members of our group stumbled on Austin Land & Cattle, and I still tell him what an awesome find it was!

The environment in the restaurant is surprisingly modern and intimate... The drink menus were even on an iPad, which as a techie, I found very cool. It is a really wonderful setting to enjoy the moist, tender, perfectly cooked steaks. I also tried the Truffled Bacon Mac & Cheese and was very impressed. Because one side was included in the price of the steaks, this was a surprising value when compared to other high-end steakhouses like Ruth's Chris, and steaks were around five dollars cheaper than what you'd expect to pay in that sort of establishment.

Our waitress, on the other hand, was very slow to get us our checks and to-go boxes (so slow on the latter that I had already finished my dessert by the time she came back!). Conversely, the bus boy was always very attentive to filling our waters; it was nice to never have to ask for more!

Even with the less-than-stellar waitress (whose name I've forgotten), I would give them another try if back in Austin. It was the best restaurant steak I've had in recent memory!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We hit the food trucks for lunch every Saturday. "Why?" you might ask, thinking that seems a bit foodie OCD. Well, it is. And it's driven by our 2 year old food truck obsessed son. According to DO, M-F is a "work day sook (school) day" and Saturday is "food truck day."

What do you do when you go on vacation and it's Saturday? You find the food trucks, of course!

Being we were in TX and all, we felt the need for meat and ALC On The Go looked like just the ticket. Not only did the menu beat the boots off the competition but it was all shiny and brand new. Who doesn't love that?

The pulled pork BBQ sandwich was great, but the filet tips on blue cheese salad was out of this world. The steak was the best we've had in a long time. It was so good, my two year old ate half the steak off the salad and would probably have eaten more except that we quickly gobbled what was left up. First rate food truck fare. Pricing was fine, obviously higher than a food truck burger or dog, and rightly so. Yumm.

What pushed us over the top was the staff and service. Everyone was so darn nice. And more so, they let DO "drive" the food truck! Okay, so it was securely parked and he only sat in the drivers seat for a few minutes but they are up there with the best minutes of his little life. We still hear "I drive food truck" regularly and he still (3 weeks later) talks about "mr socktee" (Mr Scotty, who is a rock star angel as far as we're concerned). No other food truck seems to rate as far as the meat and people go.

The only problem with this food truck is the fact that it lives in TX and we live in CA. That and we didn't have enough time on our trip to get to the actual restaurant! Next time, for sure.

2  Thank CaliGirl510

Been to ALC Steaks? Share your experiences!