“Really Good but Not Great”
Review of ALC Steaks

ALC Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
ALC Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #154 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 12th Street
Description: Enjoy a delicious steak and a taste of Austin. You haven’t experienced the best of Austin until you've been to ALC Steaks. The capitol city's only independent, family-owned steakhouse serves sizzling, hand-cut, aged beef the way Austinites have loved it for over 19 years. From our rich, antique wooden bar to our relaxing, unpretentious dining room, everything about us says, "welcome." Our exceptional service and genuine hospitality are as inviting as the many signature items on our menu. Tonight's the perfect evening to discover something else great about Austin.
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Really Good but Not Great”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We heard tremendous reports about this restaurant and it just fell short. Great menu with many options and obviously we went there for their steaks. I was expecting a steak equal to or better than Ruth's Chris and they fell short. Filet was really good but not great and others at our table said the same thing. This restaurant is very pricey and why we expected more.
Service was excellent, desserts are really good, and a good wine list. As visitors to Austin, our expectations for a "good steak" fell short and I'm not sure if we would eat here again. Bar service was very good and parking was no problem. Reservations are a must.

Visited May 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Loved it!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We really enjoyed ALC. The food was excellent. My friend is vegan and he had the portobello dish and loved it. My steak was perfect. I really liked the unpretentious ambiance.

• Visited April 2013
Austin, Texas
“Fishy”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had a steak there that tasted like fish. The drinks were good and of a good size, but on the whole, there was nothing outstanding.

Visited June 2012
Houston, TX
“Raising the bar for the steakhouse experience”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Based on location alone Austin Land & Cattle could be a successful restaurant. Fortunately for us all, they don't rely on that to get by. I have had some of the best meals ever in this restaurant. I say that to say that the food alone could get them by, but again the don't rely on that alone. On top of a great location and excellent food they add outstanding service. Try the Buffalo Lamb chops or escargot for openers. If you like chowder, how about a sweep potato clam chowder? It's is every bit as good as it sounds. The 8oz filet was perfection. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best steak I've ever had.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My two sons were looking for a great Texas steak while we were visiting Austin for the NCAA tournament. This restaurant was in walking distance from our hotel. It was a great find. We had three of the most amazing steaks we've ever had. The sides were great too. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited March 2013

Been to ALC Steaks? Share your experiences!