“The Best Interior Mexican Restaurant around”
Review of Fonda San Miguel

Fonda San Miguel
Ranked #27 of 3,829 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2014

When I say that Fonda San Miguel is one of the best Interior Mexican Restaurants around, I don't just mean in Austin. It is one of the best in the country. Not only is the food impeccable, the decor transports you to another time and place. I alway feel like I am on vacation when I am there. I go there regularly to enjoy the tropical ambiance with resident parrot, food not only delicious, but beautifully presented, herbs grown on the premises, a great waitstaff and an amazing bar with incredible drinks. My favorite dish is the Ancho Relleno: an ancho chile stuffed with chicken, olives, capers and almonds, served in a light cilantro cream sauce. The guacamole is outstanding, as it everything else. I also love the gulf shrimp in chipotle cream sauce. The Pollo Asado, (widely known under the misnomer of chicken fajitas), is the best I've ever had. They also make my favorite salsa in town, homemade tortillas and the bar makes outstanding drinks. I love the SIlver Coin which is watermelon infused tequila, lime and Cointreau, served with a fresh watermelon wedge. They also make the best Mojito and Pisco Sour in Austin. The dining room is beautiful, with traditional Mexican decor. I enjoy sitting in the bar area, where you can order off the main menu or just have drinks and appetizers. If you've never been to Fonda San Miguel, you are missing out on a great dining experience.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I held a meeting of coworkers/friends in Austin and a local member of the team set up a group dinner at Fonda San Miguel. FSM specializes in interior Mexican food. We were a group of 20+, seated in the back dining room. Our server Peter was a true pro - both attentive and patient as was the rest of the waitstaff. For a group this large, they delivered personalized service and the staff never left a water glass less than 3/4 full and we never had an empty beer or margarita pitcher. For appies, we ordered Sopecitos for the group and they were magnificent. For the entree, I ordered the RELLENO DE PICADILLO, a chile relleno filled with shredded pork, raisins and almonds. It was the size of a small football and it was absolutely, positively, hands down, no doubt about it the best meal I've ever had in a Mexican restaurant. The chile was lightly battered and cooked to perfection, the stuffing exceeded what I'd hoped for and the low grade heat combined with the sweetness of the jitomate sauce made this superlative.

The noise level of the restaurant is 'lively.' The locals tell me it's always busy. It was packed the night we were there and even though it was busy, you can have a conversation without having to shout. It is a great place for dates (several little small tables tucked away in quiet spots), families or large groups.

In this place, you'll hit a trifecta - great service, amazing food and reasonable prices. In all of my reviews, I stay away from using the word 'best.' In this exception, if you're in the Austin area, you have to stop in for the best meal you'll ever have while dining out.

1  Thank TravelsOffen
Reviewed June 6, 2014

While visiting Austin we were looking for a place to have Sunday brunch and good Mexican food. Daughter found Fonda San Miguel through Tripadvisor. The food was wonderful and the decore and ambiance is the perfect backdrop for an amazing meal. We also bought their cookbook which is so beautifully done it really could be a coffee table book. I would visit Austin again in a heart beat just to eat at Fonda one more time.

1  Thank Buster329
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Went on Sunday for the Brunch - expensive ($40/head) but worth it...great ceviche, guacamole, meats, rices, etc and outstanding deserts...deserts not loaded with sugars, just authentic flavors that stand on their own...favorite were the custard, angel food cake and chocolate cookies...professional/attentive service - always offering to take your old plate and bring a clean one...we ate our monies worth!...never felt hurried or rushed to leave...really superb food. Will come back next time in Austin.

1  Thank CuratedTravels
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I grew up in Mexico and have always been disappointed with the so-called "Mexican" restaurants in the US. This is an authentic Mexican restaurant, and it compares with top Mexican restaurants in Mexico itself.

The Sunday brunch is awesome, as it provides a wide array of foods, from breakfast items, salads, fish, warm foods, and desserts. The ceviche is one of my favorites, as is the corn pudding, the cochinita pibil, most other hot dishes, the chocolate mousse, etc. Whenever we go, I try to go as hungry as possible so that I can try as many of the choices available.

The service is usually good, they are fast at bringing clean dishes, etc.

It's a little pricey, but well worth it every now and then.

Make reservations early, since the brunch is usually packed.

I even bought the cookbook!

Been to Fonda San Miguel? Share your experiences!