“I Ate too Much”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We asked plenty of Austinites for restaurant suggestions and pretty much everyone suggested Fonda San Miguel as the best Mexican option. Make a reservation (we were lucky that we were able to get one at the last minute). It is a lovely building and the staff was warm without fawning. The Ancho Rellano is as interesting as it is tasty. The food isn't TexMex, it is actually Mexican.
The location isn't convenient to much, but it was worth the drive.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

At the suggestion of the hotel personnel, we decided to give it a try. Beautiful building...beautiful interior, and this is where the beautiful stopped. The service was less than average...actually rude when we did not go gaga over the unseasoned tasteless food. Did not finish the overpriced, what's supposed to be one of the best fare in Austin. Not at all impressed. Like I said....so what's the hype???

Reviewed June 10, 2013

One of the most beautiful settings for interior Mexican food (or any food really)I have ever eaten! Don't let the wait turn you off because there's a reason they're busy. Plus they have a lovely lobby area where you can have drinks and chips while you wait. The food is insanely delicious! Nobody at the table was disappointed. Phenomenal waiter! We literally gorged ourselves because the food was so good! I even bought the cookbook to try to recreate the pork I had when I get home.

1  Thank Dfamilytraveler
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Delicious! The silver coin Rita's are a must have. It is a little on the pricey side, so if you're on a tight budget something else may be a better fit. Sunday brunch is great!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My first and by far best meal on a recent trip to the US. A delightful, colourful and buzzy restaurant with wonderful tasty beautifully presented food in the most gorgeous of surroundings.
I can highly recommend not only the food but the great service from a young mancalled Carlos.