“A Great Place for Happy Hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Barlata

Barlata
Reserve with OpenTable
Barlata is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 3,683 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, TX
“A Great Place for Happy Hour”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just had a great time with some friends at Barlata. They have a terrific (and busy) happy hour. The Sangria is good and the choices of Tapas are plentiful. Each day has a different Paella special for Happy Hour. You try the whole menu and not break the bank, plus the service is great.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank JubileeBlue

Austin, Texas
“Great food; good time”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The food was excellent and so was the service. The portions are very generous; we got more food than I am used to at tapas restaurants and although there were just two of us sharing a meal this time, we could easily have divvied each of our choices up among three people. We shared the Braised Oxtail (delicious) the Gambas Ajillo (delicious seasonings) Grilled Morcilla Sausage (another winner) and the Paella Barlata. Since I am used to smaller portions, this was more than we could finish, but we certainly tried! We also shared a dessert, Crema Catalana, which was delicate with lemon and lavender undertones. We both raved. The prices are a little on the high side, but we had four glasses of wine, and all in all, our bill was not unreasonable. I'll be back for sure.

• Visited September 2013
AUSTIN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spanish food at Barlata”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good food, good service. Some dishes seemed very authentic , others seemed to be creative infusions from the chef. But all was very tasty. Nice buzz in a contemporary setting. I plan to go back.

• Visited August 2013
“Great tapas”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

The quick highs and lows:

Highs:
Good food
Parking garage behind restaurant

Lows:
Portions small
Prices high
Loud interior

We had the piquillo peppers, brisket stuffed canelones, patatas bravas, Gambas ajillo, tortilla espanola for dinner. My favorite was the brisket canelones. They were delicioussss. The Gambas (shrimp) were also deliciously seasoned with roasted garlic. All the food was great, it's just a matter or being willing to overpay for tiny portions of it. (I'll still go back).

Dessert we had crema catalana and Mel I mato. The Mel I mato was a goat cheese torte that was really savory rather than sweet. The sherry gastrique was honestly too vinager-esque for my liking. Crema catalana had nice favors, basically a cold citrus flavored creme brûlée dish.

Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas
“Good food, stylish venue”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Dined here last night. This was our second visit and everything was just as good as the first week that they opened. We had the gazpacho which is actually 3 different preparations of gazpacho, The ceviche and boquerones (sardines)with pears and cheese were also good. My husband had the arrow negre paella, with squid, clams, squid ink (watch out for black teeth), and I had the vegetarian paella, all good and very filling. Lots of small plates, many choices. Nice wine list, good sangria. Too full for dessert. It's a new, trendy place, close tables, interesting accents, lively bar area. Service efficient, friendly staff. Would recommend reservations. I have dined at their other restaurant in San Francisco, also good. Makes me miss Barcelona!

• Visited August 2013