“Where it lacks in ambience, it makes up for food”

Pok-e-Jo's Smokehouse
Ranked #462 of 3,971 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Neighborhood: South Austin
Description: The number one reason why we love catering in Austin is that Austinites love BBQ! It is truly one of Central Texas’ signature cuisines, and we are lucky enough not only to be able to serve up some ‘que in our five stores, but also to bring it out into the world to all sorts of catered events in the area. Be it a wedding, birthday party, or corporate event, it’s great to be able to give your guests a true taste of Austin with our catering service. Austin is an eclectic city with a wide variety of culinary tastes, which makes catering in Austin an exciting challenge. This may shock you, but sometimes people want more than BBQ for their menu. Crazy, I know. So, when it comes to catering, we come prepared to bring Austin diverse menus to match the tastes of the town. Fajitas? Check. Prime Rib? Check. When we start talking about the options we bring to the table with our catering, Austinites who have only ever had our food in one of our five stores are floored. Don’t believe us? Just check out our Full Service catering menu. When you need catering in Austin, Pok-e-Jo’s is here for you. And before you think, “Pok-e-Jo’s can’t do that,” stop yourself. Give us a shot, and join the list of people here in Central Texas who have gotten to sit back and enjoy an awesome catered party with us.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

One of the better BBQ places I visited during a recent trip to Austin. I tried Rudy's, Stubbs, Salt Lick, and this was one of the better tasting option.

samatpokejos, Guest Relations Manager at Pok-e-Jo's Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2015

Thank you for the kind words. I know it has been a while since you posted your review. I wanted to let you know that we appreciate the feedback; the owners are always very concerned with the comments from people regardless if they are good, bad or otherwise.
With all of the BBQ places around, thank you for visiting us. We hope to see you on your next trip to Austin.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Poke-e-Joe's is reliably good, traditional barbecue with all of the fixings. And there are several convenient locations around town. I am posting this on the South Austin location listing, but I more regularly visit other locations. My one and only complaint is a pricing one. Be careful how your order is rung-up if you order the Lo-Carb meal. The "Lo Carb" meal is meat only. You just decide what meat and whether you want a 1/2 lb or 3/4 lb. When you go to the register, though, do NOT say "1/2 lb" of whatever meat. They will charge you about a dollar or so more, because you can buy meat there by the pound. If you call it the "Lo-Carb" meat, it is cheaper for the identical meat and the same pounds. Its been this way for quite a while and I suspect they pick up a buck or two each day this way. I'm hopeful that's not the reason they do that, but you'd think they'd change it. I was tipped off to this by a register clerk a couple of years ago.

samatpokejos, Guest Relations Manager at Pok-e-Jo's Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Hello and thank you for the kind words, we appreciate your patience with the Low Carb Plate. We are working on getting everyone on the same page so that when you come down the line someone tells the cashier that you have a 1/2 pound or 3/4 pound "Low Carb" plate, so that you are charged correctly.
I am glad you chose to eat with us. We try to offer a verity of options from Low Carb Plates to Vegetarian plates. We do not want to exclude any of your family, friends or co-workers from being to find something that you will enjoy at Pok-e-Jo's. Our guests like you have helped to make us an Austin Family Tradition for nearly 35 years. Thank you!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We have been fans of PokEJos for decades. Nothing is better than a sliced briskit sandwich dripping with their fantastic sauce. We also love their sliced turkey,and they have a wonderful rice dish with broccoli and cheese. I have yet to find a BBQ place for a good price that can compare!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

It is a great place to go for a lunch time. Good food and nice atmosphere.

Thank you for the kind words Mattos Family, I know it has been a while since you posted your review. I wanted to let you know that we appreciate the feedback; the owners are always very concerned with the comments from people regardless if they are good, bad or otherwise.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I was sad when I went in for the first time in a long time due to my travel and I found out they did not have any pulled pork available BUT THEN WOW they offered me some of the new Pork Sausage with cheddar and jalapenos and is was AWESOME.... Keep up the good work guys!

Hello Dr. Saul,
Sam S

Been to Pok-e-Jo's Smokehouse? Share your experiences!